9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 3:21 PM by Rick Gerard

Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?

marmaduke80

Heya

In the last year or so I've been totally depressed as before that I spent so much time and effort into going to University and studying Multi-Media Journalism. I did this Access Course and passed everything apart from Science, I went to the Uni and asked "What can I do?" They suggested I study a FDN Business course and then transfer, so I done this, I completed/passed the course to then be told that the lecturer didn't think I was suitable for a Journalism course. I left University as I did not want to continue doing a course I did not want to do in the first place, then my life took a dark swing as I started becoming addicted to all kinds of drugs and criminal activities.

I absolutely given up on trying to accomplish anything, even right now I am devastated by something that happened over a year ago. I have come from a very broken family, from the age of 14 I was kicked out and at 16 I was in the Military and since then I have not spoken to any of them. Back then life was hard but I always pulled through, back then I could handle it as I was so certain something better will come, I never even got a chance to prove myself (that is the biggest blow).

Now I am in a position where I have about £20 a week to buy food+payg electric.

On a slightly brighter note I started using Adobe After Effects and it has revitalised me, I want it so badly but there is no way on earth I could ever afford it.

I got about 2 days left on my 6 day trial, I have gone from not having a clue, to having somewhat of a clue and starting to understand. From the point of "starting to understand" its become more about the enjoyment of creating something amazing, I am still very new but for the first time in a long time I feel like I could create something amazing, even if it is something just amazing to me. I don't think there is anything that can beat the feeling of accomplishment after you manage to put what is inside your head to reality.

As I mentioned before I have been on many drugs, so many drugs from LSD to Cola to Ket to DMT the list is endless. The reason to my drug addiction was down to giving up, I wanted to be on that course so badly and after I was told I was not suitable I gave up on everything. Learning how to use Adobe After Effects has started to bring back this determination I thought was dead inside me but its like staring through a window to something I could never have.

I am not saying this to get any kind of sympathy, I just want to give you an insight to how much I am enjoying using After Effects despite how my life has gone.

Is there no way I could have this for another 30 days? Or a much cheaper option? Or a pay weekly thing(about £3-5)? Or something somewhere I could get financial help?

I appreciate your time,

Liam

• 1. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you saved £5 a week, you could pay for a monthly CC subscription.

• 2. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?
            marmaduke80 Level 1

How long would I have to pay for the monthly CC subscription?

• 3. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?

As long as you want to use After Effects.

Adobe no longer sells After Effects. It is a subscription. Those of us who use it just pay for it either every year or every month. The pricing is different from country to country, but the monthly cost is usually pretty affordable. You will have the option to get just on app or the entire suite of apps. The price for the whole suite is less than the price of two single apps (in most countries I've checked).

• 4. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?
                marmaduke80 Level 1

That is far too expensive, so even if im paying for it I never actually own it. Its not fair that only rich kid students and well off people can use this, my internet is cheaper.

• 5. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?

marmaduke80 wrote:

That is far too expensive, so even if im paying for it I never actually own it. Its not fair that only rich kid students and well off people can use this, my internet is cheaper.

Well, it's professional software that people use for their careers and it's very powerful. It takes a huge company and lots of people to make and support Adobe's software. I may think it's not fair that only rich people get to buy brand new Ferraris, but those things are just inherently expensive. Not everyone can afford everything; that's the world we live in. Try getting a Flame or Inferno system. Those things cost hundreds of thousands! The fact that Adobe software is even in reach at all is pretty impressive. And it's much, much cheaper than it used to be. Before Creative Cloud came along, it used to cost thousands every year to get the Adobe suite and stay up to date on it. Now, it's only a few hundred And, if you have a student ID, you can likely get it for even cheaper!

• 6. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

marmaduke80 Check your private messages.

• 7. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?
                      marmaduke80 Level 1

Comparing a Ferrari to a piece of software is ridiculous, would you deny a great artist paint if he couldn't afford it?  Are you telling me that you think its better that not everyone is able to afford this? I'm not saying that Adobe shouldn't make money, i'm saying that they should charge less (as internet is cheaper), have the option to only buy what you need and allow someone more than 6 days to make that sort of commitment.

Still I guess your mummy and daddy bought you birthday and Xmas presents every year,

• 8. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?

marmaduke80 wrote:

Comparing a Ferrari to a piece of software is ridiculous,

You're very right. How about I compare After Effects to a garage and all of its effects and features as the tools inside that garage. You used to have to pay thousands of dollars to buy an equipped garage, but it would become outdated within a couple of years. However, now we just pay way less than a hundred dollars to rent a garage and it's always up to date!

But I wouldn't give a garage away for free. I would let students use the garage and my tools for a discounted rate so that they became used to my tools. Then, hopefully, when they're ready to work for real, they would pay the full rental price for the garage and tools.

marmaduke80 wrote:

Would you deny a great artist paint if he couldn't afford it?

Yes? I mean, I'd probably loan him some of my paint if it were me, but there have been many great artists who had to scrimp and save for their paint. Eventually, a great artist's work would make them enough money that they didn't have to scrimp so much.

I certainly had to work hard for the Adobe Suite! I worked extra jobs to buy a computer and the Adobe Production Suite when I was 19. It was all my own money - my parents didn't contribute anything to it.

marmaduke80 wrote:

Are you telling me that you think its better that not everyone is able to afford this?

Unless they give it away for free, there are always going to some be people that can't afford it.

Now, there are some people out there who are working on open source, free-to-use tools. For example, if you want to get into 3d animation, Blender is a great choice. Fully featured 3d modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating - all for free! Even if the UI and workflow are a bit clunky... You even get liquid simulation and 3d camera tracking in it!

And, if you want to do non-commercial compositing work, there are some decent free choices out there too.

Should Adobe offer a non-commercial license for free like some software companies? Maybe. I'm sure they've considered it. But since they started the Creative Cloud model, their number of users has EXPLODED! Thousands of people who hadn't been able to get Adobe software before, now have access. I think they're probably pretty happy with where things are.

marmaduke80 wrote:

I'm not saying that Adobe shouldn't make money, i'm saying that they should charge less (as internet is cheaper), 

The price of the internet doesn't have much to do with Adobe's costs. It's the licensing of codecs, purchasing new technology, engineers, quality control, customer support, building rental, hardware, conferences, marketing, etc. that takes their money. I would think the cost of the internet barely factors in at all.

And, as I said before, they DO charge less than they used to. Maybe someday their prices will come down even more.

marmaduke80 wrote:

...they should...have the option to only buy what you need ...

They do have that. You can get one piece of software, two pieces, or the whole suite.

Actually, if you just get an After Effects subscription, you get After Effects, Character Animator, Cinema 4D Lite, and the Adobe Media Encoder! You're really getting four pieces of professional, production-grade software for thirty bucks (or whatever it is for a single title in your country).

marmaduke80 wrote:

...they should...allow someone more than 6 days to make that sort of commitment...

Wholeheartedly agree! A seven-day trial is much too short. You can get reasonably up to speed on the basics of Photoshop in a week, but NOT After Effects!

marmaduke80 wrote:

Still I guess your mummy and daddy bought you birthday and Xmas presents every year,

Most years. But they weren't expensive at all! There were some times in my childhood when we barely had food. When I was a kid and got extra money from somewhere, I used it to buy food for my family. Sometimes our Christmas presents were fresh fruit - what a treat! Aw, happy memories.

Although, I don't see how my family's poverty when I was growing up has anything to do with Adobe software...

• 9. Re: Cheaper After Effects or a longer trial?
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

20 a week doesn't sound like much. If you are ex-military there ought to be some education benefits you can apply for.  Any kind of student ID will get you a huge discount.

A coffee from Starbucks is about $2. Skip coffee 10 days a month and you can afford a single app license. 15 days gives you the entire suite at the student rate.  Maybe you don't drink coffee. I do not know what country you're in so I don't know exactly how much the subscription costs.

On pulling yourself out of a hole know this.  Anyone who decides that they are going to be productive and successful will be able to make a decent living and enjoy life. The trick is not to be competitive with everybody else that is looking for work, but in being creative in your approach to earning a living.  Despite what many folks will try to tell you there is an unlimited supply of money. No one rich person or corporation controls it all. You can make more than you could ever spend if you are creative, follow the rules, and believe in yourself.  Take it from a guy who lost absolutely everything twice. My heart goes out to you. Good luck.