6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 9:30 AM by Bruce Bullis

Import FCP XML with DNxHD sequence

e.d. Level 3

Hi,

my latest testing shows PPro 2015.2 doesn't interpret the FCP XML settings right when the original sequence is set to DNxHD (FullHD 1920x1080, 25i, square pixels, all standard settings in the 50 Hertz hemisphere ---- tested with XML v1 through v4). Instead DNx becomes XDCAM 1080p with 1.33 PAR on import. Duh.

When exporting a Premiere sequence with DNx settings (on Windows), its settings are altered to ProRes 422 (and when re-importing it, it's DNx again).

Questions:

1) Is this correct and intended behavior?

2) Is this behavior consistent on Windows AND Mac, or will a Mac-based PPro (since it may very well encode ProRes video) switch the sequence to ProRes instead of DNx?

My objective is to have a consistent method of importing a project with sequences that are correctly set to DNx, be it i or p, on both Windows and Mac machines.

• 1. Re: Import FCP XML with DNxHD sequence
          Bruce Bullis Adobe Employee

What's generating the FCP XML that misidentifies DNxHD as XDCAM?

When you say it's misidentified; where are you seeing the incorrect values? It would seem you're talking about editing mode, not PPro misunderstanding the actual footage. When the editing mode isn't specified in the FCP XML (it usually isn't), PPro is forced to guess.

Please post for us a PPro project, some (small!) representative source footage, and step-by-step instructions on how to reproduce the behavior you're seeing. [You can send me the link, directly; bbb@adobe.com.]

• 2. Re: Import FCP XML with DNxHD sequence
            e.d. Level 3

It's an old application called Final Cut Pro.

There was no proper XDCAM footage in the timeline when I tested, bc I just had some IMX50 footage on my old Mac, but anyhoo. XDCAM HD422/25i translates properly to XDCAM HD422/25i.

Whereas exporting the DNx sequence from FCP6.0.6 generates

<samplecharacteristics>
                                        <width>1920</width>
                                        <height>1080</height>
                                        <anamorphic>FALSE</anamorphic>
                                        <pixelaspectratio>Square</pixelaspectratio>
                                        <fielddominance>upper</fielddominance>
                                        <rate>
                                            <ntsc>FALSE</ntsc>
                                            <timebase>25</timebase>
                                        </rate>
                                        <colordepth>24</colordepth>
                                        <codec>
                                            <name>AVID DNxHD Codec</name>
                                            <appspecificdata>
                                                <appname>Final Cut Pro</appname>
                                                <appmanufacturer>Apple Inc.</appmanufacturer>
                                                <appversion>6.0</appversion>
                                                <data>
                                                    <qtcodec>
                                                        <codecname>AVID DNxHD Codec</codecname>
                                                        <codectypename>Avid DNxHD Codec</codectypename>
                                                        <codectypecode>AVdn</codectypecode>
                                                        <codecvendorcode>AVID</codecvendorcode>
                                                        <spatialquality>1023</spatialquality>
                                                        <temporalquality>512</temporalquality>
                                                        <keyframerate>0</keyframerate>
                                                        <datarate>0</datarate>
                                                    </qtcodec>
                                                </data>
                                            </appspecificdata>
                                        </codec>
                                    </samplecharacteristics>
                                    <appspecificdata>
                                        <appversion>6.0</appversion>
                                        <data>
                                            <fcpimageprocessing>
                                                <useyuv>TRUE</useyuv>
                                                <usesuperwhite>FALSE</usesuperwhite>
                                                <rendermode>RGB</rendermode>
                                            </fcpimageprocessing>
                                        </data>
                                    </appspecificdata>

resulting in XDCAM 1080p with PAR 1.33 in Premiere, whereas exporting a DNxHD seq from Premiere to XML generates

<samplecharacteristics>
                                            <rate>
                                                <timebase>25</timebase>
                                                <ntsc>FALSE</ntsc>
                                            </rate>
                                            <codec>
                                                <name>Apple ProRes 422</name>
                                                <appspecificdata>
                                                    <appversion>7.0</appversion>
                                                    <data>
                                                        <qtcodec>
                                                            <codecname>Apple ProRes 422</codecname>
                                                            <codectypename>Apple ProRes 422</codectypename>
                                                            <codectypecode>apcn</codectypecode>
                                                            <codecvendorcode>appl</codecvendorcode>
                                                            <spatialquality>1024</spatialquality>
                                                            <temporalquality>0</temporalquality>
                                                            <keyframerate>0</keyframerate>
                                                            <datarate>0</datarate>
                                                        </qtcodec>
                                                    </data>
                                                </appspecificdata>
                                            </codec>
                                            <width>1920</width>
                                            <height>1080</height>
                                            <anamorphic>FALSE</anamorphic>
                                            <pixelaspectratio>square</pixelaspectratio>
                                            <fielddominance>upper</fielddominance>
                                            <colordepth>24</colordepth>
                                        </samplecharacteristics>

which, if you take it back to FCP, is of course interpreted as ProRes422 (no surprise here!), but again, when re-imported to PPRo, creates a DNx sequence.

I'll be sending you some files.

• 4. Re: Import FCP XML with DNxHD sequence

Got the files, thanks! So, to confirm:

Issue 1 = FCP6.0.6-exported FCP XML referencing DNxHD comes into PPro as XDCAM 1080p with PAR 1.33. We can make informed guesses, but just so we know, what's your desired behavior in that case?

Issue 2 = PPro-exported FCP XML referencing DNxHD round trips correctly in PPro, but FCP6.0.6 thinks (admittedly, for some good reasons) that ProRes422 is referenced.

Do I have that right?

Also, we're all curious...why stay with FCP6.0.6, instead of moving to 7?

• 5. Re: Import FCP XML with DNxHD sequence
                e.d. Level 3

Great!

Issue 1: Of course DNxHD should interpreted as DNxHD (with 1:1 PAR) because it's an available codec (for PPro) and we work with it as our in-house standard.

This one is the important part.

Issue 2: Right. This one is not as important to me, because this workflow is not intended. It was just the check of "how is the behavior the other way round"?

All in all, this is not really about creating the ideal workflow between FCP and PPro for me (there might be others out there, and those would certainly have an easier time using FCP7, I just had none available when I was testing last week).

My concrete reason behind this is many asset management systems use FCP XML (of various standards from v3 to v5, ours currently on v3) to transmit rough cut sequences to Premiere (or FCP), and of course a) the sequence parameters should be generated correctly (this is something the AMS guys need to fix), and b) if the sequence is correct (in terms of "this is what an FCP generated sequence would look like"), it should be interpreted correctly by PPro, shouldn't it?

• 6. Re: Import FCP XML with DNxHD sequence

We're investigating the issue as PPro bug

4160541: " PPro misinterprets FCP6.0.6-generated FCP XML; DNxHD footage comes into PPro as XDCAM 1080p with PAR 1.09; PAR should be 1.0".

I'll keep you informed of our progress; thanks for the handy test files!