4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 10:30 AM by sailon99

Nvidia Quadro M2000M not compatible w After Effects?

sailon99 Level 1

I've been trying to get the best performance settings on my new Lenovo P50 workstation laptop. Starting to wonder whether this laptop is a bit ahead of the curve.

I was surprised that the Preferences settings show the optional/premium video card offering in this machine to be incompatible. I've updated the driver, but this is what it shows:

The other surprise is that the Thunderbolt3 port is not in combo with the miniDP port, but rather thru the USB Type C port... which, at this time there are virtually no hard drives I can connect to with Thunderbolt... and the USB Type C TB3 to TB adapters won't be available for at least a few weeks.

Any advice or info on the Graphics card issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Nvidia Quadro M2000M not compatible w After Effects?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If checking the Enable Unsupported doesn't fix the problem then you are out of luck. NVIDIA changed the back end of their CUDA system and Adobe is no longer trying to keep up so Ray-traced rendering is no longer being developed. There are much better ways to accomplish the same thing with the integration of C4D. I've never used Ray-traced rendering for a client project, only for a few experiments. It's just to hard to work with.

• 2. Re: Nvidia Quadro M2000M not compatible w After Effects?
            sailon99 Level 1

I don't care about Ray-traced rendering either, but am I getting any processing via the Quadro card for normal rendering, etc? Seems the Preferences were more clear a couple years ago, and now I'm confused.  Appreciate any light you or others can shed to help me better understand how to maximize settings on my system, and hopefully get some processing work done by the GPU.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Nvidia Quadro M2000M not compatible w After Effects?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In its current state AE does not use the GPU for anything but accelerating the user interface. In a lot of systems things were better if you turn that acceleration off in the preferences.

There are some third-party plug-ins that rely on the GPU to accelerate their effects but the CUDA driver has absolutely no effect on these plug-ins. It has always been that way. NVIDIA  has completely changed the direction they were going anyway so I wouldn't count on further development exclusively directed to CUDA acceleration.

Hopefully, in the very near future AE will make better use of the GPU, but for now don't worry about it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Nvidia Quadro M2000M not compatible w After Effects?
                sailon99 Level 1

Thanks for the response and detailed information.