• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LMS recording incorrect score

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our organisation is using SuccessFactors LMS to deliver e-learning courses. We are in the process of converting our courses to HTML5 and are experiencing issues with the LMS recording the score incorrectly. We don't experience these same issues with courses published in flash.

I created a course with 1 quiz question (10 points) - when I tested this in the LMS answering all of the questions correctly it recorded as complete with a score of 100 (SuccessFactors records the percentage scored rather than the points).

I then created a course with 5 quiz questions (50 points) - when I tested this in the LMS answering all of the questions correctly it recorded as complete, but with a score of 80. We can't work out where is pulling this score from, as it doesn't relate to either the number of points of the percentage.

The courses were built in Captivate 9, published in HTML5 and used the following quiz settings:

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Perhaps you could try just sending the score ONCE instead of pinging the LMS each and every slide.

There's an option in the Quiz > Reporting screen to change the SCORM template to one called something like SendDataAtEnd. This only sends the score to the LMS once for each quiz, at the and.  Maybe it's worth seeing whether SuccessFactors has this issue because Captivate keeps sending it data all the time.

I'm clutching at straws here because this LMS should NOT act this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you set each of the 5 quiz questions to have a score of 20 points so that the total adds up to 100 again.  Does SuccessFactors THEN score it correctly?

I seem to remember seeing a similar issue on this forum some weeks or months ago where a score less than about 60 percent was always failing.  It turned out to be a bug that could only be resolved by increasing the percentage or scoring points to a higher level.  Not sure if your issue is related, but worth trying.

Another thing to check is by going to Project > Advanced Interaction and checking whether you have any interactive objects also set to report to the quiz.  If so, they may be messing with your scoring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I amended the course so that the 5 questions each scored 20 points and tested it again in the LMS.

The score showed correctly on the quiz results slide, but it still recorded the score as 80 in SuccessFactors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the Passing Percentage to something like 95% and see what your score comes out at in SuccessFactors.

I find it a bit suspicious that it's giving you a 'score' that is exactly the same as your setting for passing percentage.

If when you change it to 95% then the LMS also quotes the same, then I think you may be misunderstanding what SuccessFactors is quoting back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing the pass mark to 95% (amended in Captivate and in the LMS), when I tested the course in SuccessFactors it recorded the score as 100.

I tried amending the pass mark again to 75%, when I tested it in SuccessFactors it recorded it as 80.

I did think it might be something to do with the pass mark, but I'm not sure where it is getting these numbers from...there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern between the percentage/points scored and the numbers it's recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  But at least you have discovered something important.  Now you KNOW that the issue is something to do with the way SuccessFactors (or the way the LMS admin has set up the course) is interpreting the data related to the Pass/Fail percentage.  It's not likely to be Captivate's fault.

If you want to be even MORE certain, next thing to do is to upload exactly the same SCORM packages to SCORM Cloud and see what it does right out of the box.  If SCORM Cloud correctly interprets the scoring for your courses each time, but SuccessFactors DOES NOT, then you have ammunition to go back to the LMS people and say they need to do something at their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!

It is definitely something weird going on with the SuccessFactors LMS. The courses score correctly (most of the time...) when they are published in flash, but when the courses are published in HTML5 it seems to do some odd things...

• If there is one question it will record the score correctly as 100 (10 out of 10, 100%).
  • If there is more that one question, the score seems to be limited to whatever the pass mark is. So if the pass mark is 80 it scores correctly up to 80, but when you score more than 80 it still scores 80.
  • If the pass mark isn't a multiple of 10, it rounds it to the nearest 10. So if the pass mark is 75 and you score 100, it rounds the score up and records it as 80.
  • Even if you set Captivate to report points, SuccessFactors still records the percentage. It doesn't seem to be capable of seeing points. (This is a problem in both flash and HTML5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could try just sending the score ONCE instead of pinging the LMS each and every slide.

There's an option in the Quiz > Reporting screen to change the SCORM template to one called something like SendDataAtEnd. This only sends the score to the LMS once for each quiz, at the and.  Maybe it's worth seeing whether SuccessFactors has this issue because Captivate keeps sending it data all the time.

I'm clutching at straws here because this LMS should NOT act this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod, I unchecked 'Send Data on Every Slide' in the quiz settings and that seems to have sorted out some of the scoring issues for the mini course I am testing. It's now successfully recording scores which are higher than the pass mark!

Hopefully this will resolve the scoring issues in our production courses as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have now tested 2 of our production courses published in HTML5 with 'Send Data on Every Slide' unchecked - they are both now scoring correctly in SuccessFactors.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources