3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 9:49 AM by Abambo

Soft Proofing (Lightroom 6/CC)

mikeb30137142 Level 1

This is my first really positive Lightroom attempt at editing etc., as the majority of my other dealings have been very much experimental in relation to the process itself, in conjunction with a plethora of articles, videos etc..

This is my scenario:-

1. Import an image to Lightroom and undertake the normal editing process via the Various Tabs etc..

2. This image would be then be saved accordingly as a jpeg in my case, for printing by an external Print Lab.

My query however, relates to the Soft Proofing process that may be necessary, prior to point 2 above.

After 'ticking' the Soft Proofing element box towards the bottom left of the screen and selecting the profile of the respective print paper within the Soft Proofing dialogue box (top right), let's say that there is an area(s) of my previously edited image showing in both Red (clicking small top right hand box of soft proof profile area at top right of box) and Blue (click top left hand box of same area).

Having done this and prior to exporting for third party printing, is it a case of merely adjusting the 'red' areas accordingly, to compensate as I understand it for the respective paper that would be used and would it be this final image if you will, that I would then export for printing purposes.

Are any adjustments required to the Blue areas as well.

I thought I had read, learned and inwardly digested the plethora of information that I have, but still remain a little unclear.

I would really appreciate some assistance.

• 1. Re: Soft Proofing (Lightroom 6/CC)
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi mikeb ,

What you see highlighted as Blue/Red is the rendering intent of your colors in the image and how they are being converted.This is used to to see if your colors are in gamut, or range, for your display or output device.

Colors that are outside your display’s color capabilities appear blue in the image preview area.and those that are outside your printer’s rendering capabilities appear red in the image preview area.

From Proof settings, select a different Color profile(say sRGB) and the intent will change accordingly.

Refer Develop module options in Photoshop Lightroom for more info regarding Soft Proofing.

Regards,

Akash

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Soft Proofing (Lightroom 6/CC)
            mikeb30137142 Level 1

Akashi,

Thank you for getting back in touch with me, although I have to confess, I am still somewhat confused.

Please see this paragraph of my initial query:-

After 'ticking' the Soft Proofing element box towards the bottom left of the screen and selecting the profile of the respective print paper within the Soft Proofing dialogue box (top right), let's say that there is an area(s) of my previously edited image showing in both Red (clicking small top right hand box of soft proof profile area at top right of box) and Blue (click top left hand box of same area).

I am confused as to why you suggest selecting a different Colour Profile (you state sRGB as an example), when surely I would select the Profile of the paper that I want the image printing to.

Can you please clarify.

Thank you.

Mike

• 3. Re: Soft Proofing (Lightroom 6/CC)
              Abambo Level 4

You select your destination profile and are then able to see, if any place of your picture is out of gamut. Pictures to be printed by a photo printer lab most probably assume the profile to be sRGB. It's your service provider telling you the requirements. The red area marks colour that can not be reproduced as is by your output profile. That colour will be modified accordingly during the export phase.

This may or may not be a problem, so it's on you to decide on how to handle this. It is not always necessary to modify your image, especially if this happens in unimportant places on your picture. Colours and detail will be reproduced. There is no brutal clipping. That's the difficult to understand colour science.