7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 8:00 AM by markhbfindlayx

Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC

markhbfindlayx

Hello,

when I try importing photos from my hard drive to Lightroom CC, it just hangs. I kill the import and it says no photos or some such,but then LR won't start again until I restart the PC. I have tried this multiple times with the same result

I think the catalog may be corrupt although LR doesn't say so. I don't know how to restore the catalog although I have some backups. I tried opening one of the backups directly by navigating to it, unzipping the file but got a similar result.

A couple of questions come to mind:

How do I restore the catalog

the catalog is very large - it could be time to archive some of the older photos - how best to do this?

• 1. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
          dj_paige Level 9

I kill the import and it says no photos or some such

Please quote the complete exact word-for-word error message. Do the thumbnails of the photos appear in your import dialog box? How far do you get in the Import process where things are actually working properly?

I think the catalog may be corrupt although LR doesn't say so.

Importing problems do not indicate a corrupt catalog. If the catalog was really corrupt, it wouldn't open.

How do I restore the catalog

the catalog is very large - it could be time to archive some of the older photos - how best to do this?

None of this is related to importing problems. There is no need to restore a catalog unless there are other issues that you haven't mentioned. Archiving of photos (at least the way I understand the term "archiving") is completely unnecessary (but making regular backups of photos and catalog file is very necessary).

• 2. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi markhbfindlayx ,

First Optimize your catalog from File>>Optimize catalog.

Please make sure that you are using the latest version of Lightroom CC(Open Creative Cloud App and check for updates)

Also try removing all connected external devices(like Phone,Tablet or an external drive) and try importing.

If that does not help,create a new catalog and try importing.

Regards,

Akash

• 3. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
              markhbfindlayx Level 1

ok I don't get any error message. It just hangs, then if I click on the import it says that there are no photos or videos to import. NB I have just tried optimising the catalog as per Akash's suggestion, and I have no external devices connected, but the problem still occurs.

I have tried importing just one photo but same result (canon CR2 file from a EOS 70d). The photos and some videos open OK in Windows Explorer.

• 4. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
                dj_paige Level 9

Try removing the videos from the camera card or input folder, and importing again.

You didn't answer my question about do the thumbnails appear in Lightroom's Import dialog box

The photos and some videos open OK in Windows Explorer.

Does this mean that other videos do not open OK in Windows Explorer?

• 5. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
                  markhbfindlayx Level 1

The thumbnails didn't show any images.

Your suggestion re removing the vdeo files did work however; the photos imported straight away. The thumbnails also show OK.

the video files do open and play; I have moved them to another folder and they are OK there.

Looks like this might be OK now - thanks.

• 6. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
                    dj_paige Level 9

Many people have experienced similar problems with videos somehow preventing the proper importing.

• 7. Re: Problem with importing photos to Lightroom CC
                      markhbfindlayx Level 1

Hmm - I'm not really a video person- sometimes something demands it, like suddenly getting a cab ride in a steam locomotive!