10 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 8:27 AM by Laubender

Distribute Spacing

Mike410

Hi,

How do I set a Distribute spacing style, so Indesign remembers the spacing set between elements like a header and body copy etc?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Distribute Spacing
          Derek Cross Level 6

Use Paragraph styles (Space before and Space after)

• 2. Re: Distribute Spacing
            Mike410 Level 1

Thanks Derek, how do I set that up?

• 3. Re: Distribute Spacing
              Derek Cross Level 6

Have a look this marvellous video tutorial from Chad C, it will explain all. Just remember that Paragraph styles apply the style to the whole paragraph, if you want a word or words within a paragraph to be, say, italic or bold, you need to apply a Character styles to those.

Format text with Paragraph Styles in InDesign | Adobe InDesign CC tutorials

• 4. Re: Distribute Spacing
                Mike410 Level 1

Paragraph styles doesnt seem to work for me when you have two elements with different formatting.

For example:

Header

iajsfijbcsabnocfnoasncfnasc

asf;lmas;c;lamlmsal;fm;sa

I want to make the (distribute spacing) between the separate Header box to the Body copy box

the same, throughout my document.

I seem to have to manually remember the distribute spacing option (i.e. 0.125").

If my document has multiple different distribute spacing settings, how do I make them a style?

When I try it, it reformats both the header and the copy to be the same style (i.e. 10pt, light)

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Distribute Spacing
                  SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For paragraph spacing to work for you, you need to keep all your type in the same text frame.  Like this:

Screenshot 2016-05-27 14.04.51.png

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Distribute Spacing
                    BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

The above answers are pointing you to paragraph spacing which can be added to a paragraph style, but you will need to have the paragraphs in the same frame. It sounds like you are asking about setting up Distribute Spacing from the Align panel as an object style, which isn't possible. I'm with Derek and SJReigel in that I think that handling this with a paragraph tag in a single frame (or threaded frames) is the way to go, but if you can't for some reason, you can at least set the default for Distribute Spacing.

Use the Selection tool to deselect everything in the document and then turn on the checkmark for Use Spacing. Enter in the desired value. Now when you need to distribute objects, select them and click the Distribute Vertical or Horizontal Space button directly above the checkmark. The .125" value will be applied.

InDesign CCss_001.png

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Distribute Spacing
                      Mike410 Level 1

Thanks guys,

@BarbBinder yes my question was in regards to the Distribute Spacing in the Align panel.

I like to have headers in their own text box, and body copy in it's own.

It would be great if you could save various Use Spacing figures.

• 8. Re: Distribute Spacing
                        BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

It would! Feature Request/Bug Report Form . Happy weekend, Mike.

• 9. Re: Distribute Spacing
                          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is a non-intuitive method for distributing all the paragraphs in a text frame so the first paragraph starts at the top and the last ends at the bottom, if that's what you are after. It will only work on unthreaded frames, or the last frame in a thread.

In the text frame options, set the vertical justification to Justified, then set the maximum paragraph space to something really large that you would never hit, like the page height, and all the space will be added between paragraphs.

• 10. Re: Distribute Spacing
                            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It will only work on unthreaded frames, or the last frame in a thread.

Hi Peter,

thank you very much for that hint. Great!

I'm under the impression that this procedure is also working for threaded text frames if leading is set to "automatic".

But I'm not sure, if this condition is needed at all. Will do some additional tests on this.

From my German InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 :

DistributeSpacing-ParagraphsOnly.png

To make sure that individual leading inside of the paragraphs is all the same, I placed some rectangles behind the text frames that are scaled by an integer number. In the example above I used 12 Pt / (14.4 Pt) for all my text and set the Distribute Space value to 300 mm which clearly exeeds the height of the text frames here.

DistributeSpacing-ParagraphsOnly-TextFramePrefs.png

"Vertikaler Keil" <=> "Distribute Spacing"

"Max. Absatzabstand" <=> "Maximum Distance between paragraphs"

Uwe