7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 12:58 PM by Just Shoot Me

Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG

fulldecent2 Level 1

Related: How to make Lightroom NOT edit your JPEG originals (UNANSWERED).

Crosspost: How to remove Lightroom changes to JPEG file - Photography Stack Exchange

Here is the file in my MASTERS folder, which Lightroom has modified, even though I have set "Develop Settings Inside JPG files" to OFF.

IMG_5279.JPG

How do I UNDO the changes that Lightroom has made to my beautiful JPEG file and to which I do not have a backup copy?

• 1. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
          Tanusree Adobe Employee
          2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
            dj_paige Level 9

You can't undo it directly. This is caused by some hardware malfunction that has corrupted the file before Lightroom actually displays the photo. You might be able to recover the uncorrupted photo by importing the photo again using different hardware (different card reader, different cable, different USB port), and if possible, importing the photo again on an entirely different computer.

• 3. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not sure I know what you mean. LR does not edit your original files. LR never changes your original file whether they are JPGs, TIFs or any of the RAW file formats including DNG.

What LR will do if you have the option set in the Catalog Settings to "Auto Write change to XMP" is place the edits you have made to a JPG file in a special section of the JPG file (and in the catalog file) but will not change the original file. If you view that original JPG file outside of LR none of the edits you made in LR will be included, they won't show up. Only in LR will those edits show.

What you have is a corrupted file which is caused by a hardware fault. As dj_paige pointed out.

To remove any and all edits you made to any file in LR you click the Reset button in the bottom right of the Develop module. Or in the History section on the left go back to the first entry which should be the import date or the date you created the virtual copy.

• 4. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
                fulldecent2 Level 1

To clarify, this is NO LONGER TRUE. I got on the phone with Adobe and did screen sharing and everything. They inform me that "LR never changes your original file" is not the case with the latest version. Here is documentation on the new situation: Re: How to use XMP sidecar files for JPEGs in Lightroom

This is sad because I had always though that Lightroom should be a non-destructive editor and it should NEVER touch originals.

• 5. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
                  fulldecent2 Level 1

If anyone else is saddened by this change or considers it a bug, please see Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 6. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
                    dj_paige Level 9

If the statement is that "LR never changes the image portions of your original file", I would agree with that and I don't see anything in that thread that contradicts this. This has always been my understanding of how Lightroom works, and this makes Lightroom a truly non-desctructive editor.

Writing XMP to a JPG file does not contradict this statement, as the XMP is not written to the image portion of the file, and so it is not a bug, and it does not need to be fixed.

• 7. Re: Undo Lightroom Modification to my Original JPEG
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

fulldecent2 wrote:

To clarify, this is NO LONGER TRUE. I got on the phone with Adobe and did screen sharing and everything. They inform me that "LR never changes your original file" is not the case with the latest version. Here is documentation on the new situation: Re: How to use XMP sidecar files for JPEGs in Lightroom

This is sad because I had always though that Lightroom should be a non-destructive editor and it should NEVER touch originals.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The link you posted to the Julianne Kost video doesn't say anything about JPG files and she is working with Canon CR2 files which are RAW file types. The changes made to any images is stored in the catalog by default, In a XMP sidecar file if you have the option to Auto write changes to XMP selected in the the Catalog Settings dialog or if you use the option to Save Metadata to file for proprietary RAW files or in the case of TIFF, JPG and DNG files the edits are written to a section of the image file that does not change the actual image data of that file. The only programs that can read those changes are LR, Bridge and Adobe Camera RAW. Viewing images outside those Adobe program will show you the original unedited image.

Yes the file might grow in size but that does not change the actual image data stored in the file.

Also I have no idea how and where you got XMP files for JPG images. Normal XMP files are only created for proprietary RAW files and are named FileName.XMP. Not FileName.JPG.XMP or FileName.RAF/NEF/CR2/whatever.XMP.

If you could please detail how you saved edits for a JPG file to a XMP file. As that is not how it works in either LR or ACR for JPG, TIFF, PSD or DNG files.