5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 9:21 AM by sarregraham

300 dpi images

sarregraham

Hi

I am designing my first art booklet on Indesign and I have a question for anyone. I find now that a lot of my images are only 180 dpi. The images are larger though than they will print.  I know Indesign automatically reduces the images to 300 from larger sizes but I need to know if I have to go back in to each image and resize it up to 300 or does the pdf export function work to bring the images up to 300 when it makes them smaller to fit in the frames.

Any help welcome thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: 300 dpi images
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to consider the scale of a placed Image to know its output or Effective res. If you scale your 180 ppi image by 200% it's output res is 360.

InDesign doesn't automatically change res to 300. The Actual placed res is always scaled with the image.

• 2. Re: 300 dpi images
            sarregraham Level 1

Thanks Rob

Just to be clear, I need to go back into photoshop and change the res on each image before outputting?

• 3. Re: 300 dpi images
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, my first post was wrong, if you scale your 180 ppi image to 50% it will be 360ppi, if the scale is 200% the effective ppi would be 90.

Check your info panel for the Effective res, that's the output res, if it's high enough you don't have to do anything.

• 4. Re: 300 dpi images
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

sarregraham wrote:

Thanks Rob

Just to be clear, I need to go back into photoshop and change the res on each image before outputting?

No, scaling the image in ID is exactly the same as scaling in Photoshop if you don't resample.

If you look at the image info you will see tow resolution numbers, Actual and Effective. Actual is the "saved" resolution, the one you will see if you open the file in Photoshop. Effective resolution is the resolution you currently have at the scaled output size, and that's the only one that matters.

• 5. Re: 300 dpi images
                  sarregraham Level 1

great love it. I appreciate your help. I want really good images  To make the work pop