6 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 9:14 PM by t.ocallag

Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not

t.ocallag Level 1

I deleted a couple photos from the catalog (not from hard drive)

I then moved the pictures to another folder

Dragged back into Lightroom which started an import

I added keywords and then Imported

When I clicked on the photos the keywords didn't show up

When I look at the histogram I get a histogram but it says "Photo is missing"

I can click on Show in Explorer and the picture is there...I can also zoom in 8x so I know the picture is there.

Now ALL pictures have keywords missing and say "Photo is missing" when they are not.

One other thing, I recently (2+ weeks ago) removed Quicktime per some warnings.

I had attempted to drag a PDF into Lightroom with the other photos above but it never showed up in the import and it did not get imported.

I have 55K photos cataloged;

How do I fix this... I have not exitted lightroom .....yet

Any help would be appreciated@2016-05-28 11_43_00-Lightroom.png

• 1. Re: Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not
          Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

It means that is is missing to LR, the reason is that you have moved or changed the photo outside of LR. You need to reconnect it.

In LR in grid view select the photos with a question mark and locate it or them from the pop-up menu.

No photos exist in LR, they are referenced in their location on the hard drive, and if you change e.g. rename it, LR will report the photo as missing!

• 2. Re: Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not
            t.ocallag Level 1

Thank you for your speedy response.

The problem was that ALL pictures ...ones I hadn't touched for months were saying "Photo was missing" when it wasn't

Without doing ANYTHING....it has fixed itself - all pictures have keywords and do not show "Photo was missing"

See new picture.....so I don't understand how that could be....but I am thankful things look ok again !!!

2016-05-28 12_30_00-Lightroom.png

• 3. Re: Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR is a Database program. Your images are not IN LR. They are only referenced in the database file from where they are stored on your hard drives.

Are your images on an external drive or an internal drive?

If on an External drive is the drive letter, on windows, or Drive name, on a Mac, the same as it was when the images were imported?

• 4. Re: Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not
                t.ocallag Level 1

They are on an external drive

The thing is I could right click and select "show in explorer" and it would show the pictures so it wasn't like they were not accessible.

I admit what I experienced was pretty weird ...had never seen that before  (I've had LR3-4-5-6)...but it sure seemed like Lightroom was temporarily confused.

Also it was saying "photo missing" for pictures I JUST imported.

And those pictures I could also show in explorer.

One of the questions was ..had it not autocorrected.....do I shut down LR,  can I mess things up by shutting down LR, should I have it backup the catalog in that state ?

• 5. Re: Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure you copied the images to your hard drive and not left them on the memory card during the import?

Please post a screen shot of a File Explorer window showing the drive and folder the images are in and a screen shot of the LR Folder area showing the same drive and folder.

• 6. Re: Lightroom catalog says "Photo is missing" but it is not
                    t.ocallag Level 1

the example pictures (my daughter with our dog were imported several weeks ago.  And have been on a hard drive.

I tried to determine the date that they were imported but I looked at all the metadata and I don't see an added to catalog field (which is weird because I can sort the catalog by Added Order.

The pictures I added today were on a hard drive and I just dragged them into LR to get put in the catalog.

The net is that for some period of time, LR was saying that a Photo was missing when it wasnt

I added a picture of the jpgs I added today and the windows explorer view.....unfortunately LR is not acting up now.... I should have screen shot it when it was.2016-05-28 23_11_58-Lightroom5-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library.png