3 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 4:00 PM by Rick Gerard

How do I know if I have CUDA on my Graphics Card? AE CS6 Warning on startup.

natfunk

Hello!

I have searched the forums and seen some answers to this CUDA issue, but none specify how to find out if you need to install a CUDA update. I understand from the warning I am getting that maybe I need a CUDA update? How do I know if my NVIDIA card needs CUDA updated? I saw some people say if your GFX card does not use CUDA, do not install, so I am being cautious before I install the latest driver from NVIDIA: CUDA Drivers for MAC Archive | NVIDIA

This is the error message I get when After Effects CS6 starts:

Ray-tracing on the GPU requires CUDA version 5.0 or later. Ray-tracing will use the CPU until you install the latest supported CUDA driver.

I am also noticing playback is at 1.4 - 9 FPS when the file I am trying to open is supposed to play back at 29.97 FPS. Wondering if this is related to the Ray-Tracing issue? Could this error be coming up because I have graphics switching turned on? I am new to using an MBP with Adobe products as I have recently switched from PC to MAC.

I am running: Adobe After Effects 11.0.4.2

Here are my MBP Specifications:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Video Cards Info

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x0166

Revision ID: 0x0009

gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fd5

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3688

gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Retina LCD

Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina

Retina: Yes

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

NB

• 1. Re: How do I know if I have CUDA on my Graphics Card? AE CS6 Warning on startup.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First open your preferences and check the little box that says use unsupported GPU. That should get rid of the error message. I have a very similar MB Pro and Ray-tracing works as well as can be expected.

Second, make sure, absolutely sure, that your apps and your plug-ins are all up to date.

Last point ---

This is important to know. NVIDIA completely changed the way they were handling CUDA and Adobe decided that they would no longer be developing or supporting the CUDA based Ray-traced rendering technology for several reasons. The biggest reason was that it never met expectations. The latest builds of AE that have C4D lite and Cineware as part of the package give you more and better options for nearly everything that Ray-traced rendering could do it it worked well.

If you insist on using Ray-traced rendering for your projects you should design the projects to that the Ray-traced comps are as simple as you can. For example, if you want to extrude text I would design the entire animation using the Classic Renderer then duplicate the camera and if you added lights, duplicate those light also, then group the duplicate camera and lights and add them to a pre-comp that you set to use Ray-traced rendering. When that's done, pre-render the Ray-traced comp using the Render Cue and then complete your project by replacing the extruded text layer with the rendered comp. That's the only workflow that makes sense on any project that needs more than a couple of layers.

The biggest reason for this workflow is that Ray-traced rendering, when accelerated by your compatible GPU is a serious resource hog and you must use the Render Cue to do the rendering. The Output Module in the Render Cue will not go a good job of delivering a standard mp4 file for delivery and if your project took 2 hours to render using  AE, it would take 10 or more to render with the AME.

Another reason for this workflow is that Blend Modes, Masks, and Effects are disabled on 3D layers in Ray-traced compositions. If you need any of these then you'll have to nest your Ray-traced comp in a standard Classic some and apply the effects, masks, and blend modes there.

I have never done a project for a client that used Ray-traced rendering. I have experimented with it for a bit, but from the first iteration to where development stopped I did not consider it a usable tool or workflow. Now, with C4D lite and AE you can do so much more than you could ever do with Ray-traced rendering it's not a good business or production decision to use the feature. Besides that, if you do a project that relies on Ray-traced rendering you may not be able to open or use any of those features in future releases because development on that rendering engine has officially been stopped.

I hope this helps. If you decide to not use RTR and you don't want to see the message or mess with any of it just check the box that says don't show this warning again.

• 2. Re: How do I know if I have CUDA on my Graphics Card? AE CS6 Warning on startup.
            natfunk Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer.

I am completely new to using Adobe After Effects. I have only used Adobe Premiere Pro in the past.

I bought a logo stinger After Effects template from Video Hive, tried to open that file and saw the warning.

Unfortunately, much of what you said above is Greek to me.

Would that message be shown because the creator of the project file used Ray-traced rendering? If so I guess I should go back to the provider to see if they are able to help me sort it out. I really don't know what I am doing to be honest! I figured I would buy the file and sort my way through it.

I did notice that the FPS is way off and when I try to play the file it is very, very slow and is not playing back at 29.97 FPS like it is supposed to. Not sure if this is a glitch in the file, on my system or something else?

Thanks again for such a detailed answer. I hope to learn through this process.

Cheers,

NB

• 3. Re: How do I know if I have CUDA on my Graphics Card? AE CS6 Warning on startup.
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are new to AE start here: Basic AE

AE does not preview the same way that Premiere Pro does and unless your AE is up to date it won't work very well at all. You will have to get used to Ram previews. I would suggest that you work most of your comps at 50% magnification factor and have the comp panel resolution set to Auto. With the Retina display 100% will give you a preview half the actual size of the comp when rendered but it will use up your resources for ram preview four times as fast. Setting the Comp Panel resolution to Auto will prevent wasted resources when your preview is smaller than the final comp size.

Second, the warning just says that your system isn't properly configured. If checking the enable unsupported GPU's doesn't fix the problem and you don't get some reasonable preview times then let us know. Just be aware that the render and the UI will be very sluggish.

If you purchased a well organized template then all you should have to do is change or customize the artwork. If you want the advertised look and feel you'll have to live with the render times. Any effects or mattes used in the composition should already be dealt with. If you can't get it figured out contact the seller for support. Without having the template in front of me, or a flow chart and comps in front of me I can't even guess how they put it together. A great tool for troubleshooting projects is a double tap on the U key. This will reveal all modified properties of any layer selected. This will quickly show you what that are doing with that layer. The flow chart will lead you through the maze of nested comps that make up most templates.

If you are very good at picking up complicated user interfaces and learning new workflows and techniques you can probably expect to spend at least a couple of months learning the in's and outs of AE to a point where you feel comfortable with most of your projects. After Effects is kind of like a box of 10,000,000 Legos. Compositing, visual effects and motion graphics requires a good solid blueprint based on sound principals. Working with AE without spending time to learn how the system and the theory is kind of like trying to build a house from your 10,000,000 legos without a blueprint. If you just start stacking bricks up who knows what you'll end up with. The search help field at the top right corner of AE is a great resource that most new users are reluctant to try. Make it your friend. I've been using AE for 20 years and I use search help about once a week to see if there's anything new on a procedure that I'm using.