4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 4:47 PM by photofan731

Lost original images

photofan731 Level 1

Hi

as a newbie with the latest lightroom CC, I have deleted what I thought were virtual copies but they were also originals

In trash I can only find the XMP not the image

Please help !

• 1. Re: Lost original images
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have a backup of the images, copy them back into the original folders. LR will then re-link the files and all your editing work which is stored in the catalog.

• 2. Re: Lost original images
            photofan731 Level 1

Thanks for quick reply....a lesson learned that I do need to back up on an external drive ( as a newbie, my next thing to learn any hints on how to do this safely in Lightroom cc?)

I did manage to find the raw images in trash dated the day I took them....I thought they would be next to XMP files but they were not

Again ...thanks for your help

• 3. Re: Lost original images
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I always let LR run a backup every time I quit the program. Or I should say after each time I close the program after doing editing or adding metadata. If I’ve just been browsing or exporting, I hit the skip button.

But this is only a backup of the catalog file.

For the images I get into the habit of making a copy to an external drive after importing each new batch from camera. I don’t need to keep backing up (revisions) the images as all the editing is contained in the catalog.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Lost original images
                photofan731 Level 1

Hi Jon,

thanks for the tip on your backup workflow....something I have to do !