11 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2016 7:37 PM by Suphanat Isarangkoon

Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long

Suphanat Isarangkoon

Dear all people on the forum,

I have had a trouble with previewing the video in After Effects CC, for a while. I located the problem that it came from "Mixing Audio for Preview". This process takes very long, in comparison to other processes during the preview rendering. When I disable the audio previewing on the preview panel, the preview started almost instantly after the preview was triggered. Since audios are easier to process than videos, this is taking boringly too long. Also, I noticed that the more layers, graphics, and audio files are added to the file, the longer it will take for the preview to start. Please, help!!!

• 1. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There's presumably nothing wrong. AE's audio capabilities are seriously limited and it doesn't do any realtime mixing worth mentioning. It can only play a limited number of audio tracks in realtime and those have to conform to the settings of your audio driver, since that is what it relies on. Every file that doesn't conform to the specs as well as incompatible audio driver settings cause resampling. similarly, compressed files like MP3 will require being decoded fully first and then mixed. Not saying that things couldn't be better, but you should get used to it. If you provide system info and more details about your project there may be potential for some optimization...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long
            Suphanat Isarangkoon Level 1

This is my Specs:

Screen Shot 2559-05-29 at 7.46.04 PM.png

4 GB of Random Access Memory; Memory slots supporting 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module

Screen Shot 2559-05-29 at 7.50.28 PM.png

These are my extension.

Screen Shot 2559-05-29 at 7.51.05 PM.png

This is one of my videos that I have done. This current project is actually very similar, if not the same, to this video.

• 3. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That sounds really frustrating! I know it doesn't help you now, but the new version of AE that is "coming soon" has a new preview system that is supposed to make this much better. Hopefully this issue goes away completely!

• 4. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What might help you right away is adding more RAM. 4GB is the bare minimum to get AE to even launch. 8GB is the recommended minimum. 16GB is the minimum I would actually want to work with.

• 5. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long

Thank You to both of You by the way. +Szalam +Mylenium

• 7. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long

Can I ask if using Adobe Premiere would help? I barely used that before to be honest.

• 8. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You did a very nice job on the sample video and if you did the whole thing in After Effects you have a lot more patience than I ever will. There aer only a couple of effects that I saw in your sample film  that could not be accomplished in Premier Pro in much less time. The animated graphics for "air" is one of these. That may be the only thing that I would do in After Effects.

The biggest reason to use After Effects is to create a visual effects shot or add a motion graphic sequence that you cannot create in a nonlinear editor like Premiere Pro. 90% of my After Effects comps are single shots between seven and 10 seconds long. Most have 10 or 12 layers and some have dozens but almost all have only one main shot. Some are short sequences that cover no more than a sentence or two of dialogue. That is the proper way to use After Effects because it is not equipped or designed to edit movies.

Premiere Pro has real-time previews for almost all operations, very adequate titling system, much better audio tools for editing audio, and the ability to have more than one asset on a single layer. Given the source footage that you used in your sample video, and a script you could probably edit the whole thing in Premiere Pro in an hour or so. I will bet you spent days on it in After Effects. Please take the time to learn the right tools for the job and keep up the good work.

• 9. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long

Spherical_pressure_waves.gif

Thank You for your admirations by the way but for the air graphics, do you mean the gif above? If so, I am sorry to disappoint you but it  is a free-use image, and was taken from the Wikimedia Commons Database, from the webpage here >>> File:Spherical pressure waves.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you view that video on the Youtube, I also cited the Wikimedia Commons in the description under the video too. Also, I will try to use different programmes, and see what works better to see what is right for the job.  May I ask if I understand you correctly that it is correct for me to use After Effects for my project because my project contains shots that are mostly short, and also has many layers at a one partcular time in the video? Did I understand you correctly, though?

• 10. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you After Effects comp is a bunch of layers that only overlap for transitions and you have not added a stack of effects to all of the layers then you would be much more efficient using a non linear editor like Premiere Pro.

I just completed a seven second shot where I replaced a logo on the side of a boxcar passing a train station. By the time I was done there were 30 layers, most of them spanning the entire timeline. All were required to pull off the effect and sell the illusion. That's what you do in After Effects.

This piece is part of a 10 minute movie that I'm editing in Premiere Pro. It is the only one of eight shots in the movie that required the use of After Effects to do the special effects. The rest of them are just like your movie, a bunch of footage that you edit to a sound track.

I hope this helps. To learn how to use AE start here: Basic AE

To learn about Premiere Pro go to the Premiere Pro product page and click on the learning and tutorials link.

• 11. Re: Mixing Audio for Preview Takes Too Long

Thank You for all of your generous help! Thank you for your kindness! Nice to have some chats with you!