7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 12:56 PM by ssprengel

How to open Canon EOS M3 Raw files in LR5.7? [Help]

Sp1dey85 Level 1

Hi

I have lightroom 5.7 bought outright, not on pay monthly and use windows 8, i have updated the raw and dng updater to version 9.

I have bought a canon eos m3 and shoot in raw and lightroom will not open them they are cr2 files, have read i need lightroom 6 or later is this correct as all my other canon dslrs raw files open fine ?

Neil

• 1. Re: Help
          Hal P Anderson Level 6

Yep, for that camera you'll need to upgrade to the latest version of LR, or you'll have to download the latest free DNG converter and convert those raw files to DNG and import the DNGs. Although all those raw files share a .CR2 extension, they are different internally and need to be individually reverse-engineered by Adobe.

• 2. Re: Help
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Neil, you can buy LR6 from the following link. After clicking "Buy" change from Full to Upgrade; then select your existing LR product from the drop-down menu and the correct pricing will be displayed. Then simply choose “Add to Cart”

Products

• 3. Re: Help
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. But you will need to convert the Canon CR2 RAW files to DNG files using the newest version of the Free Adobe DNG converter program. Version 9.5.1.

• 4. Re: Help
                Sp1dey85 Level 1

Hi many thanks

how do I do all that ? if you could advise would be gratefull

thanks

• 5. Re: Help
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sp1dey85 wrote:

Hi many thanks

how do I do all that ? if you could advise would be gratefull

thanks

Google Adobe DNG converter 9.5.1.

Download it from the Adobe website and install it. Copy your images to a folder on your hard drive that you create. Probably in the same folder structure all your other images are stored in. By default that would be under your Username>Pictures folder but it can be anywhere and named anything.

Run the converter program and point it to that folder, look through all the options in the converter program and choose the ones that best suit you then click the Convert button.

converter program interface.PNG

• 6. Re: Help
                    Sp1dey85 Level 1

Hi

Many thanks for your help have done as you have advised and works fine, also thanks as didn't really want to pay again to upgrade

Regards Neil

• 7. Re: How to open Canon EOS M3 Raw files in LR5.7? [Help]
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The M3 was first supported in LR 6.0 and the DNG Converter 9.0. 

Either upgrade to LR 6 or sign up for a LR CC subscription OR use the DNG Converter to create DNGs from the CR2s, then those DNGs, but not the CR2s, will open in and older LR.