4 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 9:59 AM by james_steph

In Lightroom 6.5.1 how do I specify a relative path for Export?

james_steph Level 1

I've searched and this question has been asked numerous times but it has never been answered definitively.

Given my RAW path (Windows PC):

F:\Camera\2016_05_29\Raw\

I want the processed images exported to:

F:\Camera\2016_05_29\  

Without having to explicitly specify it every time.  This has been my workflow for years and I have years of folders like this and now with Lightroom I've run into a brick wall and do not want to change 15 years and numerous terabytes of folder structure because of one simple thing that I can't get Lightroom to do.

This was easily done in Bibble and other Raw tools by using the universal Windows standard double-dot notation: ..\  which simply means "back up one level".

Yet these characters turn red in Lightroom and I get the Invalid character error (when using the "Same folder as original" option).  No other option makes sense or works (I tried for kicks).

Can anyone tell me definitively "no, Lightroom cannot do that", or "yes, here's how"?

Thanks,

--Jim

• 1. Re: In Lightroom 6.5.1 how do I specify a relative path for Export?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you choose F:\Camera\2016_05_29 in the list of destination folders in the right-hand panel of the import screen, then also choose "Into subfolder" and type in "Raw" it should work the way you want it to. Just don't worry about the extra "\" at the end of your destination folder. I suppose in that sense there is no "relative" Path that can be established. You simply choose the main folder in the right-hand panel where all of your folders are listed, and then you type in the name of the subfolder that you want as your destination.

• 2. Re: In Lightroom 6.5.1 how do I specify a relative path for Export?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

james_steph wrote:

This was easily done in Bibble and other Raw tools by using the universal Windows standard double-dot notation: ..\ which simply means "back up one level".

Yet these characters turn red in Lightroom and I get the Invalid character error (when using the "Same folder as original" option). No other option makes sense or works (I tried for kicks).

I'm not familiar with Bibble, but LR does not support using DOS style commands in the user interface. The simplest way around this is to use 'Same folder as original photo' and then drag and drop the Export files from the Library module to the main folder one-level-up. You can use the Filter bar with a custom user preset for JPEG, PSD, TIFF. for the file types you export to, Select all (CTRL + A), drag, and drop into the folder above.

You can also use the Sort by File Extension, select them, drag, and drop into folder above.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: In Lightroom 6.5.1 how do I specify a relative path for Export?
              james_steph Level 1

This sounds promising...I'm off to a graduation and will try this tonight with what I shoot today.

Thanks,

--Jim

• 4. Re: In Lightroom 6.5.1 how do I specify a relative path for Export?
                james_steph Level 1

Thanks, but yes, this is a manual thing I'd need to do every time (folder changes every day).   I'll look at trshaner's tip and try that tonight.

--Jim