10 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 1:34 PM by elenab63513757

keyword hierarchy does not add up?

elenab63513757

I set up a keyword hierarchical system in Lightroom.

Here is what happens to me.

I have a parent keyword called HOLIDAYS and then the many holiday's vacation places as second level  (let's say New York, San Francisco and so on).

If i search for HOLIDAYS (i click the right arrow in the keyword list) I get 2443 photos as a total.

If i search and add up the single locations I get 2458, that is a difference of 15

Strangly enough those 15 are listed beside the HOLIDAYS parent keyword.

Normally the parent Keyword does not show any number at the right side because the photos numbers are shown at the secondary keywords level only (in this case the places)

I cannot figure out how this happens.

In other instances (for instance my PEOPLE parent folder, and others) this does not happen.

Any suggestions on how to find out the error?

I fear some corruption of the catalog.

• 1. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi elenab,

If i search for HOLIDAYS (i click the right arrow in the keyword list) I get 2443 photos as a total.

If i search and add up the single locations I get 2458, that is a difference of 15

Please try remove the keywords from those 15 images or add a different key and check if you still see them under "Holiday" keyword.

Regard,

Mohit

• 2. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The keyword Holiday has images in it. As stated above remove the Holiday keyword and add the correct keyword for the location these images were shot in.

When adding a Top Level keyword. like your Holiday keyword, make sure no images are selected. Edit menu item > Select None. Then create your Top Level keyword.

• 3. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
              elenab63513757 Level 1

Thanks for replying.

But it does not add up. I would understand if the single locations' number were 2443. If I added 15, than I would reach the total 2458 for HOLIDAYS. But sadly is the other way round! That's why I do not understand the logic.

Once again I it were the other way round, then I would search for HOLIDAYS, then exclude all other keywords and I would identify the 15 photos difference. Being the other way round this does not work.

And how do I find those 15 culprit images? As I said if I search for HOLIDAYS i get 2443 (instead of the correct 2458)

Strange things..

Thanks for help

• 4. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?

Are the 15 images that are listed next to the top Holidays keyword also in another keyword, have another keyword assigned to it.

Click the arrow to the right of the word Holidays to display the images in that keyword. Do you see a check mark on one or several of your other keywords under the Holidays top level keyword?

Any image can have multiple keywords assigned to it.

• 5. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The count shown next to a keyword in the Keyword List panel is the number of photos that are explicitly assigned that keyword.  So if HOLIDAYS shows 15 photos, that means there are 15 photos that you've explicitly assigned HOLIDAYS (as opposed to a child keyword of HOLIDAYS).

There's an obscure method for finding such photos.  In the Metadata browser of the Library Filter bar, click Metadata and add a Keyword column.  Change the column's display from Hierarchical to Flat:

Now click on HOLIDAYS in the column.  Only those photos that have been explicitly assigned HOLIDAYS will be shown.

As for the different counts you're observing, without a screen shot, it's not clear precisely what you're observing.  However, as Just Shoot Me suggested, it sounds like you may have photos assigned more than one child keyword of HOLIDAYS.    I suggest that you first assign the proper child keywords to the 15 photos assigned HOLIDAYS, remove HOLIDAYS from them, and then redo your counts.

If it's still the case that searching for HOLIDAYS yields a count smaller than the sum of the counts of the child keywords, then finding the photos assigned multiple child keywords will be a little trickier.  In general, there's no way to do that in LR without examining each individual photo.  I can suggest some ways of doing that involving third-party plugins.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
                    elenab63513757 Level 1

thanks johnrellis,

but there is no HOLIDAYS keyword in the flat system !

This point to the fact that a flat HOLIDAYS keyword was not assigned (which in fact I cannot recall), but this still does not explain why on the right side of the keyword list there is still the strange 15 number. What is that?

I tried to assign the HOLIDAYS keyword to a single photo. Then it correctly shows on the above (flat) keyboarding column AND it shows now 16 (added 1) in the numbering on the right side of the keyword list.

Still do not have a clue about the 15

• 7. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
                      but there is no HOLIDAYS keyword in the flat system

Make sure that you've selected the source All Photographs in the Catalog panel on the left. If you've selected another source, e.g. a folder or collection, the Keyword column in the Metadata browser will only show the keywords of the photos in that folder or collection.

• 8. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?

I tried to assign the HOLIDAYS keyword to a single photo. Then it correctly shows on the above (flat) keyboarding column AND it shows now 16 (added 1) in the numbering on the right side of the keyword list. Still do not have a clue about the 15

As explained above, the count to the right of HOLIDAYS in the Keyword List panel is the number of photos to which you've explicitly assigned HOLIDAYS (you have done that accidentally at some point).  So when you assign HOLIDAYS to another photo, the count increases to 16.

• 9. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?

Please post screen shots of what you are seeing.

Sorry but it seems to me you aren't reading the replies to your post about the problem.

You have somehow assigned HOLIDAYS as a keyword to 15 images and now to a 16th image. Those original 15 images that you somehow assign the keyword HOLIDAYS to also have some other keyword assigned to them that is a Sub-catagory, a Sub-Keyword, of the top level HOLIDAYS keyword.

Every entry in the keyword list is actually a keyword all by itself. Even if you have sub-keywords under the top entry that top entry is also a keyword and can be assigned to images with or without assigning sub-keywords.

• 10. Re: keyword hierarchy does not add up?
                            elenab63513757 Level 1

reply to johnrellis and just shoot me

you are both saying very logical things. The problem is that something illogical happened.

Even selecting "all photos" and looking for a flat keyword HOLIDAYS in the Metadata column gives no result: no HOLIDAYS keyword there.

Those 15 photos are phantoms.

So I finally did the following:

I created a new PARENT KEYWORD: HOLIDAYSN(ew) and copied all the sub keywords of the previous HOLIDAYS to this new parent. And deleted the old HOLIDAYS.

Now back to normal (HOLIDAYSNEW is not showing any number, correctly)

By the way, before deleting the old HOLIDAYS it was still showing 15 photos, clicking the right arrow give you nevertheless no photos.

I choose delete and its gone.

I still have no explanation of what happened. But now back to normal

May be a bug ..

I still have many photos to import (I have an huge Aperture library, but I am doing a "clean" start-up, importing only the masters).

If the problem reappear i will be back ..

have a good day

E.