6 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 6:02 PM by nodeless

Chapter title in running footer prints trash.

nodeless

When I place a chapter story in the document, the chapter title prints normally in the footer of the first page, but on every subsequent right hand page the footer text block is filled with layers of overprinted text.

Screenshot 2016-05-29 11.06.26.png

• 1. Re: Chapter title in running footer prints trash.
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Simple answer: There is too much text to fit into this frame. Either enlarge the frame (as it is possible in your picture) or reduce the text. Text variables don't allow line breaks.

• 2. Re: Chapter title in running footer prints trash.
            jane-e Adobe Community Professional

What are you expecting it to say? Is the Chapter Title supposed to be the same on the first page and the subsequent pages? Probably, I would guess.

So can you show us screen shots of what you have in the the master page for the footer (zoomed in) and also for your Text Variable definition for the Running Header/Footer?

Willi is correct that it will create one element and won't do text wrap, and that is why it looks weird. But you have it working on the first page, so something else is going on.

Thought number 2:

Stretch this text frame wider to read the text. Do you recognize where it comes from in your document? Was something accidentally tagged as a Chapter Title paragraph style? Do all subsequent footers look exactly like this?

If you are using the Text Variable feature to create a Running Footer, it looks for a particular style, in this case, I presume "Chapter Title" or similar. Personally, I would expect to find one Chapter Title per chapter, because how many titles does a chapter need? Tagging a body paragraph as a Chapter Title would cause this problem. If that's it, then just apply the a different style to the paragraph that is causing the problem.

If this doesn't solve it, please post those screen shots!

• 3. Re: Chapter title in running footer prints trash.
              nodeless Level 1

The substance of the problem is how the first page can be correct, but all subsequent right hand pages are corrupted with what appears to be body text when i stretch out the text block in the master page. I cannot get it wide enough to read clearly.

Here is the screen shot you asked for. Thanks for both replies.

Screenshot 2016-05-29 16.43.05.png

• 4. Re: Chapter title in running footer prints trash.
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Do a find/change for text with that character style applied. I think you'll find the answer to your problem there.

• 5. Re: Chapter title in running footer prints trash.
                  jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Thanks, got it!
                  You have a running heading attached to no style, so on the first page, it picked up the first paragraph. On each page it then picks up the first paragraph on that page.

You need to create a paragraph style for the paragraph that is the Chapter Title. A good name is "Chapter Title"

Apply it to the one paragraph that is the Chapter Title

Create a Running Header (Paragraph Style)

Style: Chapter Title (or whatever you called it

Use: First on page

I am assuming one Chapter Title per chapter?

It will work now. If it doesn't, post back!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Chapter title in running footer prints trash.
                    nodeless Level 1

Many thanks, Jane.  I am away from my computer now, but as soon as I get back to it I shall close the issue as solved.

Skip Hosfield

Sent from my iPad