You should have a tab between the para number and the text entry, and between the text entry and the page number, but your text symbols aren't showing (Type > Show Hidden Characters) so I can't see them. Assuming they are there and that the two TOC paras are using the Level 1 Header and Level 2 Header para styles (all unclear from the screen shot, but if I have the para tag names wrong, just substitute the correct ones):
- Click on the first line of the TOC.
- Type > Tabs.
- Set a left align tab for the left edge of the text entry, and a right-align tab with a leader dot for the page number. (To add: select the tab type from the tab well in the top left corner, and click above the ruler. You can drag them left/right to move them. A selected tab is highlighted in orange or blue, and you can add the leader dot to a selected tab.)
- With the cursor still on the first line, right click the style name and Redefine style so that the other Level 1 Headers are updated.
- On the second line, drag the bottom left triangle to indent the line (the top triangle comes along for the ride). Add a left tab for the text entry, and a right tab with a leader dot for the page number, as per step 3 above.
- Right click Level 3 Header and Redefine Style.
got it.. thanks Barb
just a quick query. i have created a TOC style. do you think i can apply the tab stops in TOC style as opposed to going to level 1 and level 2 header styles?
1 person found this helpful
If you use dedicated styles for the TOC listings, rather than re-using the heading styles, you can set indents and tabs in those styles.
yup.. got it.. thanks