9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2006 1:41 PM by vickie9999

Fireworks 8-- Exporting CSS

Toledo15
      I am trying to export slices as CSS layers; however, the htm file is not being generated-- a .gif file is generated instead. The images folder and actual images are exported correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
          Level 7
          Toledo15 wrote:

> I am trying to export slices as CSS layers; however, the htm file is not being
          > generated-- a .gif file is generated instead. The images folder and actual
          > images are exported correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

When you export, choose CSS Layers for "export" and Fireworks Slices for
          "Source."

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] **Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks**
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          Design Aid Kits: http://www.webdevbiz.com/pwf/index.cfm
          • 3. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
            Toledo15 Level 1

>>When you export, choose CSS Layers for "export" and Fireworks Slices for "Source."

Thanks for the reply. I had those settings selected. I am not sure why it is exporting a .gif file, though. It should be exporting a .htm file correct? I was able to successfully complete this export function previously. What else could be the problem? Have you ever seen this type of problem/output before?

• 4. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
              Level 7
              Toledo15 wrote:

>
              >
              > >>When you export, choose CSS Layers for "export" and Fireworks Slices for
              > "Source."
              >
              > Thanks for the reply. I had those settings selected. I am not sure why it is
              > exporting a .gif file, though. It should be exporting a .htm file correct? I
              > was able to successfully complete this export function previously. What else
              > could be the problem? Have you ever seen this type of problem/output before?

Only if I forget to export slices.

--
              • 5. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
                Toledo15 Level 1

>>Only if I forget to export slices.

OK so to make it more confusing...I opened a previous .png file designed in Fireworks and it exports correctly using CSS. So that leads me to believe that there is something different about my current .png file. Admittedly, I am new to Fireworks, so I am unsure what I could have done differently this time around in creating this file. In summary, I created the images in Fireworks, created navigational elements (buttons) in fireworks and then laid out all the different elements in layers in one document. It previews in brower as expected. I sliced the design and broke apart all of the navigational elements. I then wanted to export the document as CSS layers, followed by exporting the navigational elements as html so I can continue the project in Dreamweaver. Any thoughts on what I could have screwed up? Any other feedback or suggestions? Thanks again for your time.
                • 6. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
                  Level 7
                  Toledo15 wrote:

> I then wanted to export the document as CSS layers, followed by
                  > exporting the navigational elements as html so I can continue the project in
                  > Dreamweaver.

You exported it twice? That may be what's causing the problem. Fireworks
                  is remembering the first export settings and applying it the second time
                  around.

--
                  • 7. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
                    Toledo15 Level 1
                    I've exported the file repeatedly trying to rectify this issue; however, the first time I tried exporting the file for CSS layers the output was a 'gif' file instead of a 'htm' file. Let's assume Fireworks is 'remembering' settings...how do I 'erase' this memory?
                    • 8. Re: Exporting CSS--no htm file
                      Level 1
                      Hi Toldeo15

1. Close Fireworks, backup the preferences file (make a copy to your desktop?)

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>Application Data\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\English

2. Delete: Fireworks 8 Preferences.txt

3. Launch Fireworks and see if that helped.
                      • 9. Re: Fireworks 8-- Exporting CSS
                        vickie9999
                        I noticed that the .png file is complete, but the htm file is the one missing the top frame of the page.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks