12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 5:26 AM by Steve Grisetti

Output quality problem

Frustrated Fred Level 1

I am trying to create a video using a combination of video capture, screen shots (both PC and mobile), and audio.  Am using Windows 10 and Adobe Premiere Elements 14.  The video capture is mp4 and it works fine.  I have used jpg and png for the screen capture and the audio files are m4a.  When I put the screen capture in the timeline I am adding audio to narrate the picture.  During the time the audio progresses down the timeline the picture quality of the still image is terrible.  How do I correct for that?  I am using the settings AVCHD Lite 720P 30.  Thanks for any help.

[Moved to correct forum - Mod]

• 1. Re: Output quality problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To see a "clean" preview of your work in progress, press the Enter key so that your timeline renders before you play it back.

BTW, you say your audio/music files are m4a files. If this is music downloaded from iTunes, be aware that you may run into some problems with it. Apple adds extreme copy protection to its iTunes music. Many music files won't load into a video editor at all, and some will cause problems or won't appear on your final video output. This isn't a flaw in Premiere Elements. This is the way Apple has designed it.

You may have no audio problems. But if you do, that's why.

Also, per the my book on Amazon, make sure your photos are sized to no larger than 2500x1875 pixels (72 ppi) to get the sharpest slideshow and best performance from your computer while editing.

• 2. Re: Output quality problem
            Frustrated Fred Level 1

Steve, thanks, but suggestions didn't work.  I don't have a problem with the audio.  I am just recording myself using Windows 10 and for some reason it is recorded into a m4a file.  The problem is the screen capture that I made using Windows paint.  The particular screen is 696 X 804 pixels.  I set the picture to match the length of the audio file.  I am rendering it, but when it plays it is very fuzzy.  It is a jpg file although I have also tried using png.  Same result.  Perhaps the answer is in the project settings.  I am using AVCHD Lite 720P 30.  I have not checked the "Force Selected Project Settings".  I don't really know which project settings I should be using.

• 3. Re: Output quality problem
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dropping 696x804 footage in a 720p (which is actually 1280x720) is bound to get fuzzy.

Try a DV-ntsc setting.

• 4. Re: Output quality problem
                Frustrated Fred Level 1

Ann,  I tried the DV-ntsc setting both Standard and Widescreen, but it doesn't help.  I would think that what I am trying to do is pretty basic, but my knowledge of different setting is lacking.  Other ideas?

• 5. Re: Output quality problem

What do you mean by your graphic is a "screen capture from Windows Paint"?

Is this an output of a Windows Paint drawing? Or are you using a separate program to create a "screen capture"?

Can you attach your graphic to your next post so we can see what's up?

• 7. Re: Output quality problem
                    Frustrated Fred Level 1

I had another one as well taken from and Android phone screenshot.  Both of them are jpg files and both seem to have the same problem.  Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: Output quality problem
                      Frustrated Fred Level 1

This is an application running on my Windows 10 PC.  I used the paint application to capture the screenshot. I saved it using the jpg format.  Also tried the png format, but had the same problem.  I am just using the saved file and importing it into Adobe Premiere Elements 14.  I add an audio tract to narrate what the picture shows.

• 9. Re: Output quality problem

The image you posted above looks pretty fuzzy, Fred. Is that the original image?

Can you also post a screen capture of what you're seeing that convinces you that Premiere Elements is making it fuzzier?

• 10. Re: Output quality problem
                          Frustrated Fred Level 1

I see that the jpg file is a little fuzzy, but much better than when I import it.  I have a png file that is much better.  I created a little test video and posted it to vimeo.  Here is the link:test recording 6 on Vimeo .  You can see the quality.  I will also try to add the picture file.  I wish I could just send you a file.  When I import it into Adobe, it is much worse.  As I mentioned I am using a print screen to capture it from my PC.  Then I paste it into Paint and then crop it to the right size so I don't get my entire desktop.  I have two screens.  The PNG makes a much better picture.

CU DB w-paint png.png

• 11. Re: Output quality problem
                            Frustrated Fred Level 1

I just looked at the recording on vimeo.  It actually doesn't look so bad.  In Adobe it is quite awful, but when I transfer it to vimeo it isn't so bad.  What do you think?  I was assuming if it looked really bad in Adobe, it would also look bad on Vimeo.

• 12. Re: Output quality problem

So the output looks fine but the video doesn't look as clear in Premiere Elements? If that's the case, then it's just a matter of preview quality of your playback -- which ultimately doesn't mean anything. The preview quality -- how it looks in the program -- is simply for your convenience. It has nothing to do with what your final output will look like.

If you'd like to improve the look of your preview, there are ways. You can go to the program's preferences and ensure that the Timeline Render Quality is set to High Quality (Slow Speed). This will slow down how long it takes for the program to render your timeline, but your preview will look better. You can also right-click on the preview Monitor panel in Premiere Elements and set the playback quality to highest.

But, as I said, none of this has anything to do with what you final video output will look like. It's merely for preview purposes.