3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2016 11:48 PM by Schoumacher

Unstable Lightroom CC [Dropbox]

Schoumacher

Hi,

I am currently running the latest version of Adobe Lightroom CC on my Apple iMac 27" with 5K Retina with 4,0 GHz Intel Core i7 CPU, 32 GB RAM, 4 GB AMD Radeon R9 M395X GPU and 512 GB SSD drive. I hope this hardware can cope with the latest installment of Adobe Lr. As this is not the case, i.e. the software behaving "laggishly" and freezing up EVERY time I let it stay unused (minimized) for a short while. My photo Archive and Catalog are both stored in my Dropbox-folder. Can this have anything to do with the unstability? I cannot see why this would be the cause though, as the files actually are stored (mirrored) locally on my hard drive. The second question is why the programme is performing so poorly, with the stutter when editing photos in the "Develop" module. I cannot accept that Lightroom is not working 100% on a machine with this much raw power. Anyone familiar with On1 Photo, and wheter it would be a better performing alternative to Lightroom. I am, as of this moment, not a satisfied subscriber of the Adobe CC "photo plan". Any tips, trics or relevant advice, regarding the discribed issues, are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unstable Lightroom CC [Dropbox]
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I’m not seeing any such issues albeit on my Macbook Pro retina. Although my catalog is on the internal SSD and all images are on an external hard drive with fast thunderbolt connection.

I’m assuming that Dropbox is continually synchronizing whilst LR is writing to the catalog. That may have an affect.

The only suggestion is to test by creating a new catalog on the internal drive and see if that makes any difference.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unstable Lightroom CC [Dropbox]
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

N.B. You should also have the previews in the same location as the catalog.

• 3. Re: Unstable Lightroom CC [Dropbox]
              Schoumacher Level 1

Hi and thanks. I have moved all my files to an external HDD connected to my Mac via Thunderbolt. It works flawlessly. Tried importing a photo from my Dropbox archive once again which (eventually) caused Lightroom to stop responding. I.e. the problem seems to be with Dropbox and how it (assumably) continously synchronizes the files whilst LR writes to the catalog etc.

Though I have yet to try to keep the catalog and previews in a local folder, with my RAW files synced to Dropbox.

Can anyone besides med relate to this issue; with LR not working harmoniously with Dropbox?