4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2016 4:59 PM by geraldl88235235

Catalog Management

geraldl88235235

By my count I have at least 5 catalogs representing thousands of photos over 2 hard drives. At this point, LR cannot locate the images I just imported from a memory card.  They made it to one of the hard drives, but they aren't showing up in LR to be viewed or edited. I got into this conundrum after upgrading from LR5 and adding a second hard drive to my system over a year ago. 

Every attempt at consolidating everything into one catalog on one hard drive has made matters worse. I've consulted books by Kelby and Evening, forums, and youtube. Nothing seems to work the way it's described and leaves me wondering what damage I've done. I like the editing tools in LR, but catalog management leaves me scratching my head.

• 1. Re: Catalog Management
          dj_paige Level 9

So the answer, as you suspect, is to have everything in one catalog.

Every attempt at consolidating everything into one catalog on one hard drive has made matters worse.

So could you please explain exactly what is not working, what is worse, for you with one catalog? Please provide lots and lots and lots of details, and screen captures.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Catalog Management
            geraldl88235235 Level 1

Thanks for your interest. Let me restate the problem another way.  I WANT everything on one drive and one catalog.  Every instruction I have received to date has left me with more catalogs and file folders still scattered across 2 drives.  I never wanted multiple catalogs. I always wanted all images stored on a second internal drive I installed specifically to hold photos.  I'm looking for a solution that will consolidate this madness.

The last time I made an attempt, I managed to consolidate the catalogs, but I could not transfer the physical file folders to the second internal drive.  At this time, I find that I now have another new catalog on the correct drive, but the physical files reside on the old drive. 1). How can I transfer (copy, move, whatever) to my target drive while achieving integrity in one and only one catalog? 2). How do I prevent other/new  catalogs from being generated?

Thanks for any advice.

• 3. Re: Catalog Management
              dj_paige Level 9

First, there's no reason to limit yourself to one drive. You could have one catalog with photos on two (or more) drives. By itself, having two drives is not a problem, Lightroom has no problems with that situation.

But if you want to move the photos onto a single drive, and these photos are already in a Lightroom catalog, then you can do this via these instructions: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders . The steps are explained in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location". The basic idea is

1. Using your operating system, COPY (not MOVE) the photos to the desired drive.
              2. In Lightroom, select the top level folder from the old drive, right-click on it, select Update Folder Location and then point to the folder location on the new drive.
              3. Once you are 100% sure this has worked properly, delete the photos/folders on the un-desired drive.

How do I prevent other/new  catalogs from being generated?

Catalogs are only created when you, the user, tell Lightroom to create a new catalog. So don't tell Lightroom to create a new catalog.

• 4. Re: Catalog Management
                geraldl88235235 Level 1

Thanks. That looks very straightforward.  I'll work on that later this evening.  I appreciate the help.

I prefer to keep the photo files together for my auto backup processes.  It's just easier to manage.