10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 5:27 AM by Szalam

Amazingly Slow Renders

WebOfWebs Level 1

So i was trying After Effects v13.5.0.347 (latest update), and the first thing i noticed is Rendering is *still* really annoying.

Now there's less options/buttons but thankfully spacebar/num0 still work - or do they?

spacebar seems to render one frame, and does NOT progress. So repeatedly pressing spacebar renders the *same* frame again and again.

At least num0 renders the timeline. Eventually! The first few times is completes the render but suddenly parts simply revert back to not-rendered. Even when i think it has rendered the entire timeline i noticed half the audio has vanished.

And why is it soooooo slow. I have a high spec pc running win7, and just a few seconds of typical phone-video, has this program on its knees?

Not Impressed At All !!

Whats the trick it have AE work *at least* as well as it used to ?

Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!!! Did anyone notice that when you return to PPro (using dynamic link here) I have to render my timeline AGAIN - all that fighting with AE to get it to render was a waste of time?!?!?!?!

• 1. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your last comment about Dynamic Link reveals that you don't understand the way that tool works at all. Dynamic link opens an AE renderer in the background that will render a preview and be used for rendering the final output which is rendered with the Adobe Media Encoder. Background rendering is the slowest method of rendering, it will probably always be. You should not be using Dynamic link on any shot if the comp take more than about a second per frame to render. That means nothing complicated. Dynamic link is really only useful for very simple composite and things like lower 1/3's. I just completed a seven second shot with 30 layers, motion blur, blend modes, time remapping, masking, color animations and tracking. The comp takes about eight or nine seconds a frame to render. I could have done the whole thing using dynamic link but I chose to render the comp and replace the footage in Premiere Pro. It's the only workflow that makes sense.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rick's method of render and replace will also likely use less system resources while editing in Premiere Pro.

• 3. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But how has any of that any relevance to the original issue of AE being dead slow? There's no need to make a song and dance about it. What sounded like a good idea - renovating the renderer - so far has turned out as a major disaster and for many users things have gone from bad to bad with every update. And DL is pretty much the same thing, not just for the performance issues. It's a clunky workflow that deserves to die...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                chrisw44157881 Level 4

i feel its important to point out that ae 2014 can open 2015 projects so that you can render multiple frames still.

and now for the rant,

dynamic link never made much sense to me because it doesn't support render multiple frames....

and dynamic link doesn't support advanced color management. it all gets shoved into rec709...

and to the OP's original dislike about the ram preview, oh yea, I get it too, the cache frames disappears randomly especially if your monitor goes to sleep, what the heck? my monitor is not a hard drive! and its power option is to sleep, never!

I feel this thread will reach 15,000 views like some of them do from 2004 and have many wish lists pile up.

• 5. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                  WebOfWebs Level 1

Thank you so much for the helpful reply.

I think it is worth pointing out that i've been using Dynamic Links since it was introduced - because i really want it to work and I see great benefits to my workflow. Of course i had to learn the quirks (and design flaws!). The worst *still* being no proper undo when it all goes pear-shaped. But 'understanding' the limitations has allowed me to be a happy user for *years*.

My original point still stands. The latest update has made serious detrimental changes to the rendering process. Maybe i don't understand how it works (and i really dont want to know). I simply use it as instructed by adobe !!!!

Now I have to go and witness - again - my Mac colleague with his FinalCutPro working with background (non interrupting!) rendering, and his incredibly fast output render times.

So come on Adobe. Get this rendering sorted out once and for all. In the meantime you can join me at lunchtime for a plate of crow!

(expression "eat crow" = being proven wrong)

• 6. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                    WebOfWebs Level 1

This morning i woke up my pc, expecting the project to be rendered. (i left it going last night)

And guess what - no render.

where did it go? did it fail? did it complete and then get lost?

why can some free programs cut and splice in seconds but PPro has to render for hours the same tasks????

something is very wrong here.

• 7. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                      WebOfWebs Level 1

update: i read some old threads that blamed Warp Stabilizer for lost renders. One of my projects does indeed use (the AE version) of Warp. So maybe...

• 8. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WebOfWebs wrote:

So i was trying After Effects v13.5.0.347 (latest update)

That is NOT the latest update. Not even close.

You want 13.7.1, if you're on Windows or 13.7.2, if you're on Mac.

• 9. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                          WebOfWebs Level 1

Strange! I just asked AE to check for updates, and only Photoshop Camera Raw appeared on the list...

But yes we are FTP-ing 13.7.1 as we speak. We'll test it to see if it makes anything better or worse. Which just goes to show what a sad state of affairs Adobe has gotten itself in to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 10. Re: Amazingly Slow Renders
                            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WebOfWebs wrote:

But yes we are FTP-ing 13.7.1 as we speak. We'll test it to see if it makes anything better or worse. Which just goes to show what a sad state of affairs Adobe has gotten itself in to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean, but from all the time I spend on these forums and my own personal experience, 13.7.1 is much, much better.

It may not solve your particular problem, but it's MUCH less buggy, so you should be happier with everything else.