7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2016 2:47 PM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing

Salvatij16 Level 1

Good Morning,

I'm using Premiere Elements 12 and it is always crashing.   Sometimes I can't even load an existing project before it closes.  Any tips or tricks are much appreciated, I'm at the point where a 15 minute project is taking 15 hours.

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using it on? Have you reinstalled in since you've changed or upgrading your operating system?

Does the program crash before you add media to it or only after you've added video and/or photos?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Are you using photos in your project? If so, have you resized them to no larger than 2500x1850 pixels (72 ppi)?

There are so much factors that could be causing your problems. So we'll need some details about your particular situation.

'

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing
            Salvatij16 Level 1

Hi Steve,

1.  I'm using a Dell computer, Windows 10 Pro Version 1511.  I installed Elements into this operating system and I haven't uninstalled Elements or the OS. I recently added 8GB of memory - that seemed to have no effect.

2.  Both.  The most common occurrence is when I'm adding media to a timeline or trimming current media.

3.  I use Elements to edit videos.  The videos are .WMV format, resolution 640 x 480.

4.  No photos, just videos.

Thank you for your assistance.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing

Where are you getting your video from? Virtually nobody works with WMVs anymore. And, although Premiere Elements technically can edit them -- it's one of the clumsiest and most difficult formats for the program to work with.

Meantime, be sure to browse into your Program Files, right-click on the Adobe Premiere Elements 12.exe file and set it to Window 7 Compatibility mode.

That may help stabilize the program somewhat -- but the real issue is with your WMV files. We need to figure out how to build your workflow around a more compatible video format.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing
                Salvatij16 Level 1

Thank you for the insight Steve.

I use a VHS to DVD program to capture audio and video to edit in Elements.  There are different capture formats I can choose from - WMV being one of them.  If that is the big issue I think it's an easy fix - is there a particular format that works best? MPEG?

Also, I was able to set it to Windows 7 compatibility.

I'll run some tests under the new compatibility settings and start using a different video format.  I'll be sure to pass along my results.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing

It would be worth a try to see if MPEGs give you a smoother workflow.

But it's hard to say with those third-party VHS capture programs. They usually come with a video editor that's designed to interface with the video they produce -- but can be kind of iffy when you use them to get the video and then you try to edit the video in a separate video editor.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing
                    Salvatij16 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I've been able to use MPEG videos and that seems to be helping.  The program still crashes but not as frequently as before.  Any other tips or tricks that may help?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 - Constantly Crashing

The more standard the video format you're editing, the more stable the program will be.

But if you're still experiencing crashes with the program using simple MPEGs, then there is something else going on beyond the program. Outdated drivers or software instabilities on your system. I don't know what to suggest to fix them.