9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2017 1:59 PM by ERA2000

Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit

Jim_Palik Level 1

Hello,

I am a photography teacher and I teach Lightroom as one of my class modules. I was recently told that Lightroom now has only a 7 day trial period. Is that right and when did/does it start.

I look forward to your answer.

Jim

• 2. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All of the Creative Cloud applications now have 7 day trials, based upon Adobe's take-up research.

The LR trial is only availabe from Creative Cloud although the stand alone product can be purchased subesquently.

The 7 days start from first use. There is normally a button to click after download "Start Trial" and the product expires one week from that moment.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
            Jim_Palik Level 1

Hello Akash

I am a photography teacher at the Stuttgart Media University (Hochschule der Medien) in Stuttgart Germany. I teach Lightroom 30 days before student final projects are due. I have done this for years. This gave students time to use Lightroom to do their final projects without having to buy a copy. Of course, the students who will continue with still photography after my class will buy a student copy after the trial period. Those students that only need Lightroom for their final projects and never intend to do still photography after the class is over of course do not convert. The new trial policy makes it impossible for students to take advantage of the trial to do their projects an makes my teaching Lightroom as the right raw processing solution difficult.

Is there any way to get some sort of waiver to this new policy for students. This new policy puts my current class in a real bind. This Thursday's lecture is the Lightroom module and final projects for 70 students are due on June 30.

I look forward to your answer and any suggestions you may have.

Jim Palik

• 4. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like what you really need is a site license.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The new trial policy makes it impossible for students to take advantage of the trial to do their projects

I suspect that's one of the reasons why Adobe has changed its trial policy for Cloud software from 30 days to 7. It was good while it lasted.

As a fellow Adobe customer, I can sympathize with your current dilemma but it looks like either the students will have to pay for their software or the university will have to buy a site license.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
                  Jim_Palik Level 1

Believe me, I understand your answer. The site license issue is far greater

that I can get into and a political one at the state level that I have no

control of. I just wish Adobe gave notice so that people in my position

would not be caught unaware.

Believe me, the student trials, especially at a media university have sold

more licenses than not.

This is a sad state of affairs when profit is put ahead of education.

Jim

Photographer / Teacher / Writer

• 7. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
                    John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just wish Adobe gave notice so that people in my position

would not be caught unaware.

I guess Adobe would say that their blog post in early May was that notice

Update on Creative Cloud Trials | Adobe Customer Care Team

• 8. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

All of the Creative Cloud applications now have 7 day trials, based upon Adobe's take-up research.

I guess this is the same research team that decided in Lr 6.2 or so that TOTALLY dumbing down of the import module was a great idea.  As Jim_Palik said, I bet the times the 30 day trial was used for training sold quite a few paid copies.  How many people are going to get a good trial of Lightroom in 7 days.  I think this idea is Adobes loss in the long run.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Trial Version Time Limit
                        ERA2000

I'm a teacher too, and it sounds we (teachers) need to find a replacement for Lightroom. I love Luminar, but need the browser ability of LR, still Luminar trial is way better for teaching students digital development.