2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2016 1:19 PM by kentdesign

Can Lightroom open 2 different pictures at the same time displaying side by side?

Nikon D90 Gent II Level 1

or if not, is there another program that can do this?

What's behind this inquiry is the fact that I need to directly view and compare 2 pictures of the same bird taken close together in the same timeframe and location (in some level of detail) in order to determine which one definitely came out better.

Repair authorization of my newest lens is at stake here as I need to first demonstrate to the mfgr that the lens is substandard and needs attention.

I want to compare a picture of the bird in question with the above lens and another I know to be reliably sharp.

Please help this mission.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can Lightroom open 2 different pictures at the same time displaying side by side?
          Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Select the two images in Library, then press C, which will open them side by side.

Press Tab to hide the side panels.

Clicking on one image will change the view to 1:1 for both images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can Lightroom open 2 different pictures at the same time displaying side by side?
            kentdesign Adobe Community Professional

HI Nikon D90 gent II,

YES - Lightroom CAN compare 2 different photos at one time. It also lets you zoom in to areas and match the zoom.

In the LIBRARY module, make sure your Tool bar is open below the grid.

You can press "T" on the keyboard to make it visible.

Select two images and click the X Y compare box. My arrow in red below.

Library Module Tool bar.jpg

The two images will then appear side by side with one labeled as the "Select" and the other labeled the "candidate".

Tool Bar.jpg

You can click and drag the Zoom slider that now appears on the tool bar to zoom in to both images.

To align the images, you can click the Lock on the Tool bar to unlock it,

Then click and drag on on image to align it to the other, and click the lock again to lock it in place.

Then you can easily zoom all around both images using the Zoom slider at the same time for a complete comparison.

In fact you can click the "carousel button", the one with the three gray squares to the right of the X Y button on the tool bar and compare 3 or more images.

TO delete an image, just click the X on that image's corner and it will be removed from the compare carousel so you can then look more closely at fewer images.

1 person found this helpful