20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 1:07 PM by design329293255

Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

design329293255

Hi There,

Can someone explain why I am unable to edit sound files in Animate CC?  I am unable to open the envelope editor according to the instructions adobe has provided.     

•  

Add a sound to a frame, or select a frame that already contains a sound.

•  

Select Window > Properties.

•  

Click the Edit button on the right side of the Property inspector.

Here is a screen shot below of my issue.  I read somewhere else that it is b/c my canvas is an HTML 5 Canvas document and that type of canvas does not support sound...is that right? If that is true, can I change the settings of my files to keep my work or do I have to rebuild from scratch? What type of canvas does support sound?

Your immediate help is much appreciated...i have a work deadline tomorrow! Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

where does it say you can edit a sound envelope when publishing for html5?

• 2. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
            design329293255 Level 1

These are the adobe instructions I looked at How to use sound in Adobe Animate CC .  However in these instructions it doesnt mention which type of canvas you should use.  I am currently using the html 5 canvas document.

I just started learning animate last week so I am very much a beginner. 

thanks.

• 3. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
              Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As KGlad suggests, effects and envelopes don't work in HTML5 FLAs. Also watch out for when sounds end. In AS3 you can stop a sound with a blank keyframe, that won't work in HTML5.

• 4. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

adobe animate can publish several file types including swf's and html5 files.

animate, when publishing a swf, can edit sound envelopes.  when publishing a canvas/html5 document, cannot.

• 5. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                  design329293255 Level 1

Thanks for your reply...

What is AS3?

Do either of you have any suggestions for ways I am able to edit sounds in Animate CC like these adobe instructions suggest?  How to use sound in Adobe Animate CC

Or is my other option to just edit my sound files in Adobe audition instead and then import into Animate?

Edit a sound in Animate

In Animate, you can define the starting point of a sound or control the volume of the sound as it plays. You can also change the point at which a sound starts and stops playing. This is useful for making sound files smaller by removing unused sections.

• Add a sound to a frame, or select a frame that already contains a sound.

•  

Select Window > Properties.

•  

Click the Edit button on the right side of the Property inspector.

•  

Do any of the following:

• To change the start and end points of a sound, drag the Time In and Time Out controls in the Edit Envelope.
                    • To change the sound envelope, drag the envelope handles to change levels at different points in the sound. Envelope lines show the volume of the sound as it plays. To create additional envelope handles (up to eight total), click the envelope lines. To remove an envelope handle, drag it out of the window.
                    • To display more or less of the sound in the window, click the Zoom In or Out buttons.
                    • To switch the time units between seconds and frames, click the Seconds and Frames buttons.
                  •  

To hear the edited sound, click the Play button.

• 6. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

That page does state that effects and stream audio are not supported in WebGLA or HTML5 Canvas.

Some of the hip is quite old too, and is there in case you're using an older version of Flash Pro. For example, it talks about using Soundbooth to edit sounds, that was changed to Audition a while ago, and then dropped as a feature altogether.

Although the help says you can use MP3 or WAV, for Canvas it's best to use MP3, and for AS3 is best to use WAV.

• 7. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                      design329293255 Level 1

So in order to have sound editing capability...do i need to rebuild my file from scratch in a new canvas?  If so which canvas do i need to

pick (see below)?

• 8. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

actionscript 3.

but you shouldn't be picking that document type based on which document can be used to edit your sound file.  the primary determinant of which document type you should use is, for what do you plan to use the published files?

eg, do you plan to use the files on a website?  if so, is it critical they be viewable by mobile users?

• 9. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

AS3 is Actionscribpt 3.0. That's the one that you can add effects and envelope to sounds in the timeline. If you have already done a lot of work in an HTML5 Canvas file, you can go to the Commands menu and Convert To Other Document Formats, then choose Flash ActionScript 3.0/AIR. You will then have your existing work in an AS3 FLA, without having to start from scratch.

• 10. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                            design329293255 Level 1

I am building prototypes for a hardware interface (I'm using image renderings of product with sounds and blinking lights visuals). Mobile is more of a nice to have (not critical). I was planning on presenting these on my computer within the Animate program. 

As I mentioned earlier, I just started using Animate last week so its all very new to me...I've never used Actionscript 3.0 before.  Is there something I should be aware of when converting to Actionscript? 

• 11. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

If you end up having to do some code, the syntax of AS3 and Javascript are basically the same, so AS3 is no harder to learn if you don't know either.

There are two other benefits to using AS3 instead of HTML5, you can export your animations as perfect frame rate video files, and you can use more complex ink modes and filters. That may be handy when it comes to doing glowing lights.

• 12. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                                design329293255 Level 1

I dont know how to code at all.  Is coding required if I convert to AS3?  If so then I am hesitant to convert to AS3. 

Would another option for me to edit my sound files in Audition and then import back into Animate? 

What are ink modes and filters?  Why would it be handy for glowing lights?  Sorry my knowledge is pretty limited with Animate.  But I am comfortable with Photoshop and illustrator.

• 13. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                                  design329293255 Level 1

OK I have another question.  When I started to begin editing my sound files (after converting to AS3) I noticed that there were two sound waves shown to edit..... What is the reason why it breaks out into two sound files?  Is it different channels of the single sound file.

• 14. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

If you are just doing an animation there would be no coding. If you want the animation to stop at a certain point and wait for you to click a button before continuing, that would take a small amount of coding. The code would be almost identical in HTML5 Canvas as it would be in AS3, so that's not a deciding factor.

In Photoshop you can and ink modes to layers, to do Multiply for example. You can use the Filters menu to add blur and other effects. Same thing can be done in Animate, only you might be applying the effect to something that is animated.

• 15. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

Yes, it's the left and right channels of a stereo sound. Or the left and right envelopes of a mono sound. Try using the Effect drop down menu to see what happens when you select a right to left fade.

• 16. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                                        design329293255 Level 1

Yes, Ideally i would like to add button click on the button area of the rendering to stop the animation from happening.  Do you know how I would go about doing that using actionscript? 

Colin, are you saying that I should build my lights in photoshop with layers and then import that into animate?  OR are you saying that I should create the assets directly in animate?  I'm trying to understand your comment (In Photoshop you can and ink modes to layers, to do Multiply for example...Did you mean to say 'In photoshop you can create and link modes to layers?'?) your clarification would be much appreciated:) I really appreciate your prompt responses so far!

• 17. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

Read articles like this one to learn about buttons:

How to create buttons with Adobe Animate

Or look for YouTube videos about it. Also, look at the Code Snippets window, with that you can select a button you have made and have the code added to the timeline to do various things.

I mentioned Photoshop because you said you know it, and I was trying to explain what ink modes and filters were. Sometimes doing a layered Photoshop PSD and importing it into Animate would be the right thing to do, and other times you could create something from vectors, and add filters to it in Animate. It mostly depends on what graphical look you're trying to get.

• 18. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                                            design329293255 Level 1

Hi Colin / any one,

I am having a hard time creating interactive buttons.  I reviewed the adobe support material (link you shared). 

What I am trying to do is create an invisible button on a specified area on one of my layers (which is a rendering/flat image) that causes a sound to play when I click that area.   I was able to create the invisible button (blank frame for up, over, down states and shape area for Hit). 

The problem I am having is when I want to use code snippets to add an action to the invisible button I created.  When I choose the invisble button symbol in the library and drag it to the stage I get this message which i dont understand "the symbol requires and instance name.  Flash will create an instance name before applying the code sample" .  

When I choose the snippet 'click to play sound'  the instructions say that I have to put a URL for my sound file. The sound I want it to play is a wav file saved on my hard drive not a sound on the internet with a link. 

Do you have any advise for me?

• 19. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC

When you put the button on the stage you can look in the Properties panel to be able to set its name. You will probably want to do that, so that you could more easily attach a different sound to each button, and the name would remind you of what sound you plan on playing. Most programmers would find a more organized way to do that, but you can figure that way of working some other time.

You can't play external WAVs, you would need to make them be MP3. If you did that, and had a folder of sounds next to where the SWF will be, you could change this line:

var s:Sound = new Sound(new URLRequest("http://www.helpexamples.com/flash/sound/song1.mp3"));

to:

var s:Sound = new Sound(new URLRequest("sounds/song1.mp3"));

Another way to work is to import the WAVs into the library, then get the properties of the sound in the library, and turn on the sharing feature. The Linkage column will then say the name you gave it in the sharing options. Suppose you have a sound you linked as "DoorKnock", that above line can be changed to this:

var s:Sound = new DoorKnock() as Sound;

it should then play ok.

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Unable to Edit Sound files in Animate CC
                                                design329293255 Level 1

Thanks so much for your quick reply. 

unfortunately it didnt work for me. What I did was put the sound mp3 file in a folder next to where my animate file was saved as you suggested.  It wasnt clear to me what I should do after I replaced the code with the correct file name.  Do I Press enter OR just exit out of the actions window? 

How can I test the button / playing sound function?  I got an error message below (second image) when I Tried to test it (control, > test) .

I also noticed that there were many files that were generated/saved (.swf and .xml files). 

Your help is appreciated.!