1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2016 11:13 AM by DanTull

Why won't my Illustrator puppet and upgraded in After Effects load into Character Animator?

draquila

I have successfully made two puppets using Illustrator and After Effects but they won't load into Character Animator. I am using After Effects CC2015 ver. 13.7.1, new updates are installed, Win10, HP computer with 8g of RAM and 1 T of Memory, a new Nvidia graphics card with open GL 2.0, and Quick Time is installed. The puppets are stored as After Effects files. How can I bring them into Character Animator?

[moved to Character Animator forum - Mod]

• 1. Re: Why won't my Illustrator puppet and upgraded in After Effects load into Character Animator?
          DanTull Adobe Employee

Hi Adrian --

Sorry for the delay in replying, this one got missed for a bit.

Character Animator currently only supports importing puppet art from Photoshop or Illustrator documents. Depending on what and how much you've done in After Effects, that leaves you a couple of options:

• Import the Illustrator files for the puppets into Character Animator.
          • Export your After Effects work into a format that Character Animator is able to consume (as a layered PSD, for example).

Also, the version number you list for After Effects predates the most recent release (understandable since it was just a few days ago and after when this was posted). Note that since Character Animator is still a preview, it doesn't support importing projects from Preview 3 into Preview 4, so before you invest too much time in doing this with the earlier version you may want to upgrade if you haven't already.

Hope that helps!

Thanks -- Dan Tull

Edits were  related to acknowledging when this posted and the upgrade timing implications.