9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 6:46 AM by gireisshm94417973

Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?

John M Flores Level 1

Skylake quad core I-7, Thunderbolt 3, M.2 PCIE SSDs, IRIS Pro 580 graphics, potential connection to external GPU via Thunderbolt 3 (i.e., Razer Core).

Change the game with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

I'm wondering if there's enough horsepower to edit 4k video....

• 1. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No it would not be atleast not a pleasant 4K editing experience and TB3 is still just a PCi-E 3.0 4x connection so not enough bandwidth for any of the higher end GPU's.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
            RjL190365 Level 5

As Eric stated, it's still too weak for 4K editing. In fact, it's barely tolerable for even 1080i/p video editing. You see, Thunderbolt 3.0's maximum throughput is still significantly slower than even PCI-e 2.0 x16, let alone PCI-e 3.0 x16. Plus, no integrated on-CPU IGP is any faster than a very-low-end discrete GPU, according to my testing on my i5-4210U laptop.

• 3. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
              John M Flores Level 1

UPDATE: I got one with the following:

32GB 2400MHz RAM (16x2)

1 TB M.2 NVME SSD (Samsung 950 Pro 512GB x 2)

I just started playing around some 4k footage shot with a Panasonic Lumix GX85. Playback is smooth on my 1440 monitor. Basic editing in Premiere is smooth. Test media is stored on an external USB3 drive.

In AE, Warp Stabilization (Default settings) of ~31s (962 frames) of footage is taking ~11 minutes with ~30% CPU utilization at 3.25GHz

I'm hoping to produce a short film (less than 15 minutes) with this system. I still need to get a good TB3 RAID for media storage, and then we'll see if it can keep up as I work in Premiere. Rendering times will likely be long (I'm guessing overnight for the final cut) but as long as basic editing is smooth I think that I'll be OK. Fingers crossed.

• 4. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
                RjL190365 Level 5

Thank you for the update. Now we need to see the PPBM results to see just how well (or poorly) your new NUC compares to the laptop and full-blown desktop systems we have been accustomed to. I would figure that your MPEG-2 DVD and H.264 Blu-ray encoding results would be comparable to that of an otherwise identical PC which uses a mediocre-performing discrete GPU instead of an IGP (which your new system uses) - about 100-ish seconds for MPEG-2 and 400- to 500-ish seconds for H.264, both results with MPE set to the GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) mode.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
                  John M Flores Level 1

Pretty good guesses...

MPEG2-DVD Test

2:02 (122 seconds)

CPU 20% Utilization

H.264 Test

5:21 (321 seconds)

CPU 69% Utilization, spiking to 99% at finish.

• 6. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
                    RjL190365 Level 5

John,

Those results, while not nearly as fast as those of monster desktop systems with monster discrete GPUs, are actually pretty darned good for a small-form-factor PC that has only an IGP (on-CPU Integrated Graphics Processor) - and certainly faster than what I had achieved on my main i7-4790K rig when I had only a GeForce GT 730 (the 1GB GDDR5 version) running on the latter system. (And that is without considering that the Intel Iris Graphics 580 was crippled somewhat by Adobe's less mature OpenCL support as opposed to the CUDA support that the GT 730 has.)

Randall

• 7. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
                      RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

adobe recently added a new feature, h.264 hardware decoding, that should help a good bit with h264 timelines. adobe's website says it only supports iris graphics on windows, and almost no one here has a system with iris graphics, besides your machine. if you turn "Enable accelerated Intel h.264 decoding" on and off in the settings, do you see any difference between the ppbm results or general playback/performance with h264 timelines?

• 8. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
                        John M Flores Level 1

Yeah, I was kind of on the fence about the Skull Canyon vs. building my own rig, but the H.264 decoding on chip convinced me to give the little beast a shot. It's replacing my 2011 Macbook Pro with 16GB/512SSD+512SSD/AMD Radeon 6750M that was still pretty good for everything but video.

Tests were conducted with "Enable accelerated Intel H.264 decoding" ON. Next chance I get I'll turn it OFF and try it. It may be a while though.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Anyone considering the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC?
                          gireisshm94417973 Level 1

@John M Flores: What is the latest review of the NUC i7 Skull Canyon after using it for the last few months?

I'm considering the HP Z2 Mini G3 workstation over the Intel NUC i7 Skull Canyon.

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

-Gireissh-