3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 12:49 AM by sandras90632645

Image numbers and sequence

sandras90632645

I've recently upgraded to 6.5.1 and I've only downloaded one card/set of images so far. All the image numbers are wrong. I've only taken about 1500 images on my new camera but since downloading I've numbers as high as 5500 and the images are in the wrong sequence too. Is it possible to retrieve the correct numbers as per the card? And if so how? Would that also sort out the incorrect sequence? If not I'd like to delete the catalogue but I'd like to delete it from the disc too...is that necessary and or possible?

• 1. Re: Image numbers and sequence
          dj_paige Level 9

First, you might want to check to be sure somehow that your Lightroom import dialog box settings did not include some renaming of the file names. If that happened accidentally, I would turn off that option, then delete the photos from Lightroom and from the hard disk, and import them again with no file renaming.

To change the sort order inside of Lightroom, use the menu command View->Sort->Capture Time

Lastly, an out-of-the-box, change of your mindset solution to the entire problem: shrug your shoulders and do nothing. What difference does it make in the long run what number is in the photo's file name? Whatever else you are going to do with these photos, you can still do despite the number change. This is by far the easiest solution.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Image numbers and sequence
            sandras90632645 Level 1

Thank you...I'll try that in the morning. I'm not too bothered by the numbers but the out of sequence thing will drive me nuts. It means I am looking through 1500 images to find all the ones that should be together so I can choose the best one.

• 3. Re: Image numbers and sequence
              sandras90632645 Level 1

Capture Time was already checked. I decided to try the other options and when I checked File Name the images then became sequential. The numbers are still wrong but that doesn't matter. Thanks dj for your help.