• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has Adobe invaded your computer too and been flagged as malware?

May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all Flash Forum members:

Please respond if your computer is being invaded by Adobe's famous Flash Player update.

Mine was invaded about 15 minutes ago, and this "update" immediately triggered a malware alert from Webroot Secure Anywhere, my Internet security program.  I closed the uninvited Adobe window, scanned my computer, and no threats were detected.

Nevertheless, I find this offensive.  I don't use Flash, don't like Flash (and am not overly fond of Adobe or its uber-control business model, in case you haven't guessed), and am considering filing a cease and desist order with a local court here in PA if Adobe continues to invade my computer uninvited.

Adobe eschews any contact from a customer, not providing phone support for any item to which one has not subscribed (since all of its products are never-ending subscriptions now), and keeps all others at arms length.  This is unprofessional, but typical of the behavior I've come to expect from this out-of-control behemoth of a corporation that seeks to own the customer outright, or however close to this it can get.

Apologies for the rant...but if Adobe would simply provide me with an avenue to place a call to customer care and opt out of uninvited Flash updates, which my computer identifies as malware, I wouldn't have had to post such a strident comment.

Word to the wise, Adobe:  Do not access my computer uninvited again.  If you want to have a discussion with me, please contact me at the email of record for the account I just set up.

If anyone else on the Forum is having similar uninvited entries into their computers from Adobe, please post any and all comments, especially if these uninvited entries are flagged by your Internet security protocol as malware or other cyber-threat.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't use Flash, and don't have Flash installed on your computer, that MAY have been a false notice posted by an infected web site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't state whether or not you actually have Flash Player installed.  If you do not have Flash Player installed, the update notification you received is not an official Flash Player update notification.  With the exception of few caveats, mentioned below, Flash Player update notifications ONLY display if Flash Player is installed and the user has opted into the update option 'Notify me if an update is available' or 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'.

The exceptions:

• If you have Chrome, Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and all updates are distributed by Google.  Updates occur silently via Chrome update or a Chrome Component Update.  Separate update notifications for Flash Player  for Chrome do not display.
  • If you have Windows 8 and above, Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE (and Edge on Windows 10) and all updates are distributed by Microsoft via Windows Update.  Separate update notifications for Flash Player for IE/Edge do not display.

If in doubt whether or not the notification you received is official, close the notification window and navigate directly to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer to download the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Thank you so much. It just happened to me, I as well ran a scan with no threats but something is running on the back end becasue it's slowing down my computer. What a mess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines