3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2016 5:25 AM by judyjasminegraphics

Can I find and replace an object? And can I copy styles to other InDesign file?

Vraja Devi Dasi

Hello there everyone,

I hope someone has a solution to these two....:

First, I have a line object separating two text frame, and i want to change  it's thickness and color, no problem,

the problem is i have 100 of them and now i go one by one, is there any find and replace for an object?

Second, is there a way to copy a style from other InDesign file without synchronizing all the styles in a book file?

I'll be extremely grateful for a reply!

Thanks

Vraja

• 1. Re: Can I find and replace an object? And can I copy styles to other InDesign file?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the find and replace dialog, there is an Object tab. You can find your line by its attributes, and change them. I suggest setting up and object style, and changing all your lines to that style. That way, the next time you need to change them, you can edit the style. 

As for copying a style from one InDesign document to another; you can just copy something set to the style, and paste it into the document you want to move it to.  (This will not work if a style by the same name exists in the file you are pasting to. In that case, your pasted item would take on the attributes already defined in the new file).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I find and replace an object? And can I copy styles to other InDesign file?
            Document Geek Adobe Community Professional

Yes, there is a way to copy a style without synchronizing all the files in the entire book.

1. Copy whatever object contains the style you want import into the destination ID file.
            2. Make a new document and paste that object up just copied into the fresh ID doc. That fresh ID document should now only contain the style that you want copied over.
            3. Make a book file containing both the fresh ID doc and the destination ID doc.
            4. Set the book style source to the fresh ID doc.
            5. Sync the two files.

Only the style from the fresh ID doc will be imported. All of the rest of the styles will be left unchanged.

• 3. Re: Can I find and replace an object? And can I copy styles to other InDesign file?
              judyjasminegraphics Level 1

RE: copy style from one doc to another:

Go to your Book File and turn OFF synchronization (you can turn it back on later)

In the document you want to import the style into: go to "Character Style" dropdown menu; select "load character styles"; point the 'open file' popup to the document that has the style you want, say OK

On the Style Popup menu, select the "uncheck all" button at the bottom, then select only the checkbox for the style that you want to add, and say ok

Style is added to current document. Note, if there is a shortcut associated with your imported style, make sure that your current document doesn't have a shortcut already selected for that style. If it does, just change one or the other to another shortcut command. hope this helps.