8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 7:13 AM by ECBowen

i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Microcenter--10-core coming soon

Intel Inside - Extreme Speed Outside

• 1. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600
          chrisw44157881 Level 4

" Intel was able to give the Core i7 6950X processor a base clock of 3.0 GHz and a boost allowance of 3.5 GHz (identical to the 5960X with eight cores). As you can imagine, a Core i7 4790X at 4.4 GHz boost frequencies in many scenarios will be faster as most applications really are not using or utilizing more than four cores."

"To be fair, at lower core counts Premiere Pro ranges from being decent to excellent in terms of utilizing each CPU core. The problem is that at a certain point (as low as only 4-5 cores) the parallel efficiency drops off dramatically. "

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-69 8/#Conclusion

this cpu is a waste of money. premiere can't even use the cores we use now!10?

• 2. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600
            wws-svs Level 1

Chris, that is not exactly true. I am currently running an x79 P9x79ws board with a 3960x processor (6/12 cores overclocked to 4.2gig), 32gigs of ram and a Titan Black.  My CPU is running at 30% to 100% about 1/2 of the time during editing and full 100% during encoding commercials out.  Also, when I was working on a 72 minute movie a couple of months ago with all 4K footage I would see my CPU go from 60% to 100% all the time.  During the 3 hours it took to encode the film the CPU would stay at 100%.  My Titan Black (also overclocked) would also be running full out.   So, can Premiere Pro use the extra cores.. yes!  If you read up on the Turboboost 3.0 the single core speeds will be greater than the 5960x. 

I will be building a new system in the next month or so.  My new motherboard was just shipped.  It's a Asus x99WS/3.1 workstation board.  I am putting in G.Skill 128gigs of RAM.  I am going with the 6950x as my CPU. 

Best Wishes,

Wayland

• 3. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I many times see 100% CPU utilization with my i7-5960X at 4.5 GHz on all 8-cores.  Are you telling me that adding two more cores would not speed things up?  Lets wait for Eric Bowen's benchmarks.  Now, I most like will not upgrade to the i7-6950X but if were a new build it sure would be considered.

• 4. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600
                Luke14789

agreed. Anxiously waiting on Eric's excellent benchmarks to see whether this overpriced beast will be worth it in comparison to the 5960X which we're currently running at our company.

• 5. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Already started benchmarks with the 6950X and 980Ti. Still gathering sample media files for the benchmarks. I will post them as soon as I get them done.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600

Should be starting to post Benchmarks tomorrow. It will be a running thread as I get them done since I have to make projects files for each media type. Will also be benchmarking the 6900K ad other platforms as I can.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600
                      jasonvp Level 3

I'm really curious to see what the average overclock for this bad boy ends up being.  Even if it can only average in the low 4s (eg: 4.1-4.3GHz), that's still a lot of grunt.

• 8. Re: i7-6950X Coming soon for only $1600

I am running the initial benchmarks at 4GHz since the 6950X handles that very easily and with no real major voltage increase. I will see how high I can take the clock speed either before or after I benchmark the 6900K.

Eric

ADK