2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 9:13 AM by grits5

Lightroom CC won't delete videos

grits5 Level 1

When I try to delete a video in LR I get a message box popping up that says -- The file named xxx.mov cannot be moved to the recycle bin.

I imagine that I could simply remove it from LR and then delete it through Windows but that would run the risk of deleting the wrong file. The entire process needs to happen through LR to maintain integrity and avoid errors. But LR refuses to do it. In most cases the files are short so not too large for the recycle bin. But even if they were, I should get an option allowing me to permanently delete it. But I don't get that.

Any help on how I could address this would be appreciated.

I am running LR CC (Creative Cloud) on Windows 8.1.

Dale

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC won't delete videos
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Dale, try right-clicking on a thumbnail in the LR Library and choosing "Show in Explorer"

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom CC won't delete videos
            grits5 Level 1

That does show me the file in Explorer. Of course I don't want to delete it in Explorer because it will still be in the LR catalog just as a file LR can't find (at least I assume .mov files work the same way).

However, after I did that, I went back to LR and found I can now delete any file within LR after several months of having problems. Did going to Explorer establish a connection somehow that doesn't make sense to me? Let me know why that was supposed to make a difference. That would be interesting to know.