10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 9:41 AM by dj_paige

Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'

Donald.W.Long

I am a bit confused on this topic.  I wish to create a smart collection within a set of collection sets.

Example:

Trips is a collection set

Under trips you have RV

Under RV you have 'ButterField Ranch 2016 May'

Under 'ButterField Ranch 2016 May' you have 'All'

Then under 'ButterField Ranch 2016 May' wish to create a smart collection that will only include the 'Label Color' of green from the 'All' collection.

The issue is, how do you reference the 'All' within all of the other collections without getting any other 'All' collections from some other location.

What the question is: how do the patterns really work for 'Source' -> 'Collection'

• 1. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
          dj_paige Level 9

Well, I don't know how to do this with a smart collection (maybe someone else does), but why do you need a smart collection to do this?

To find the desired photos, you could simply click on the "All" collection and then use the Filter Bar to get the photos with the green label. Seems a lot simpler then creating a smart collection.

I also don't understand why you need the complication of a sub-collection named "All"? I just get the feeling that there are much easier ways to achieve this organization.

• 2. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
            Donald.W.Long Level 1

I agree easier ways I am trying to understand how this filter works  I am not even sure it that it makes sense if it can not handle what I stated. I have seen others use the source and folder but I wish to understand how also this works. The more you understand a product the more you can utilize the product

• 3. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
              dj_paige Level 9

You activate the Filter bar by pressing the backslash key (if it is not already present on your screen).

The click on Attribute. Then click on the green box. And now you will only see the photos with green color label.

• 4. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                Donald.W.Long Level 1

This does not answer the question. I know how to use filters. Please read the post and only answer the question. Thanks

• 5. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                  Donald.W.Long Level 1

What I am doing is getting a full understanding of Adobe ligthroom.  I used this product when it was 4.x and dropped it for capture one.  I am now looking at it again.  Thus I wish to fully understand the product.  Currenlty I must say that it is not up to pair with capture one at this time, but it has improved a lot.  If you use it with photoshop then it surpasses capture one, but if you just compare it to capture one, it is a year or more behind

So I wish to have a better understanding of the smart collections and all of its features

• 6. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                    johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                    The issue is, how do you reference the 'All' within all of the other collections without getting any other 'All' collections from some other location.

You can't.  Smart-collection criteria let you match the names of folders, collections, published collections, and publish service (e.g. "Flickr").  There is no way to match the name of a collection set in smart collections (or filters, for that matter).   Others have asked for that feature -- please add your vote and detailed opinion why you want the feature to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Smart collections missing criterion for "Collection Set" | Photoshop Family Customer Community .

To match the names of collection sets, you'd need to use the Any Filter plugin.

• 7. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                      Donald.W.Long Level 1

Thanks for the response, good answer, I will vote for this.  It should give you a drop down of the collections you have, so you can select it.

Having the contains is good but the drop down would allow total control.

• 8. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                        The more you understand a product the more you can utilize the product

Agreed, so to build on dj_paige's suggestions: LR's collections don't make it easy to take different subsets of your photos for different purposes, and it's not easy to intersect the results of a smart collection with an arbitrary source (folder, collection, collection set, another smart collection).  See this post for more details and less-than-ideal workarounds: Lightroom: Limit Smart Collections to a Collection or Collection Set | Photoshop Family Customer Community

If you find yourself trying to force that square peg into a round hole, you might consider using filters and keywords instead, which provide much more flexibility in searching your photos.   In your example above, as dj_paige pointed out, to limit photos by a color label, use filters rather than smart collections.  That way, you can easily extract the green-label photos from any source.

Also, setting up a keyword hierarchy with root keywords such as People, Places, and Events, and relying on filtering by capture time, can provide more flexibility and easier access than trying to do that kind of detailed organization with collections.  

• 9. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                          Having the contains is good but the drop down would allow total control.

"Contains Words" is often a better criterion to use.  "Contains Words x" will only match a text field if that field has the "word" x (a word is separated by spaces or some punctuation).   So "Contains Words john" will match the collection named "John Birthday" but not "Johnson & Johnson".  "Contains words x y" will match only if the field contains both words "x" and "y".

The lack of exact match for most text fields is a glaring omission from LR.  (The big exception is keywords, for which you can easily do exact match with the Keyword List panel and the keyword column in the Metadata browser of the filter bar.)  See this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: Exact text match in smart collections and filters, including matching spaces | Photoshop Family Customer Comm… 

• 10. Re: Smart Collections using 'Source' and 'Collection'
                            dj_paige Level 9

johnrellis wrote:

If you find yourself trying to force that square peg into a round hole, you might consider using filters and keywords instead, which provide much more flexibility in searching your photos. In your example above, as dj_paige pointed out, to limit photos by a color label, use filters rather than smart collections. That way, you can easily extract the green-label photos from any source.

Also, setting up a keyword hierarchy with root keywords such as People, Places, and Events, and relying on filtering by capture time, can provide more flexibility and easier access than trying to do that kind of detailed organization with collections.

I was just about to say that. Everything the original poster is trying to do is very simple with hierarchical keywords, and very difficult (ok, impossible without plug-ins) using collections and collection sets.