10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 11:36 AM by rob day

Paper Media settings

RB1995

Hi everybody,

How come when i go through the InDesign Print dialogue boxes, eventually arriving at 'Media Type', i only have 3 very limited choices? As follows:

1) Photo Paper: Epson Premium Glossy, Glossy, Premium Semigloss, Premium Luster.

2) Plain Papers.

3) CD/DVD, CD/DVD Premium Surface (this last selection is greyed out).

…there is nothing else to be seen. Where are the media types such as: Velvet Fine Art, or Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper, or Double sided Matte Paper?

I know they are there because i can locate them via Spotlight.

Many thanks for any help i can get on this.

Richard

System details: MacBook Pro 2010, OSX Lion 10.7.3 - Printer: Epson R2880 - Adobe CS5 extended

PS: i don't understand why Adobe are marking this page as "assumed answered"? It isn't answered yet, RB

• 1. Re: Paper Media settings
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Those are related to your print driver, not InDesign.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Paper Media settings
            RB1995 Level 1

Thanks Bob. Yes, i appreciate that, so what am i doing wrong in inDesign and my mac that i can't access these paper types. Presumably, these are missing ICC Printer Proflies? If so, if i can get them, where should i put them?

I'm just going to take a look at Barb's reply which has come in since i last checked also and continue

Thanks again Bob. I'm guessing you guys are all in the States?

Richard

• 4. Re: Paper Media settings
              RB1995 Level 1

This looks great too Barb, thanks. I'm out of the office at the moment but will be downloading them all asap. And i note that it looks like there are instructions for their use and, more importantly, where to put them! So i'll be back in touch tomorrow afternoon Europe time.

Thanks again to Bob and Barb

Best wishes, Richard

• 5. Re: Paper Media settings
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might try reinstalling the printer software. I don't think the profiles will work in the regular ColorSync folders. With my Epson they are installed inside of a package in the Library>Printers folder:

OS/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/Pro7600.profiles/Contents/Resources/P ro7600 Enhanced Matte_MK.icc

Pro7600.profiles is a package

Also if it is a shared printer the profiles would be installed on the host computer's OS.

• 6. Re: Paper Media settings
                  RB1995 Level 1

Thanks Rob, yes, i have that same path too but with the final part of the path as 'SPR2880_A.profiles' as my package name. The only way i can get to view the contents of that package is by typing in one of the paper type names into Spotlight - so i know they are there! So why don't they show up from the InDesign print dialogue box? They're not even there but greyed out - just nothing at all.

As you can see above, Barb gave me the link to some beautiful profiles, i was wondering if i could put them loose in the same 'ICCProfiles' folder that we just spoke of?

• 7. Re: Paper Media settings

Right click SPR2820_A.profiles an you should get an option to show contents which will give you access to the folders inside. The printer is connected to your computer right, it's not shared on a network?

package.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.43.25 AM.png

• 8. Re: Paper Media settings
                      RB1995 Level 1

Hi Rob, yes the printer is directly connected to my Mac.

None of the new profiles from Barb showed up in the InDesign print dialogue boxes. And they've all installed correctly - all neatly listed in the path you showed me earlier. So unless you have any other ideas i think i'm going to have to go the re-install route? I believe Epson have some kind of uninstall package available.

I don't really want to close this thread as i would like to come back and report on what happened. That's ok isn't it?

OK, if anybody does have any other ideas i'd like to hear about it.

Many thanks To Rob, Barb and Bob for your input.

Bye for now,

Richard

• 9. Re: Paper Media settings
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

These threads remain open forever.

• 10. Re: Paper Media settings

There are two steps you might try. Reinstall the latest Epson driver software and delete the existing printer in the System Preferences> Printers & Scanners and then make a new printer via + under Printers