1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 9:16 PM by Rajashree Bhattacharya

Adobe, Please make a better floating licensing scheme

tobiwon Level 1

I write this post because the current licensing scheme for Creative Cloud is problematic for me, and probably for others in my situation. I am hoping that as a result of this post Adobe will consider some more flexible options for licensing the CC software.

I have been using Adobe products for over 20 years and I have invested a great deal of time in perfecting my skills and evangelical zeal in promoting Adobe products. I would say at this point I am an expert on many of your pieces of software.

When CC was announced, I went along with the new scheme for stabilizing your revenue stream by making your revenue more predictable. However, for me running a small studio, this has created unwieldy burdens. To be specific, I am a solo illustrator/animator and as such, I run a lot of 3-D and special effects software which frequently demand the horsepower of several machines to render frames or calculate complex effects simulations. I use four machines, three desktop machines and a laptop. In my work, I am constantly bouncing around between the three machines which are often humming away on their own, rendering frames or calculating fluid flows, etc.(my ghost employees,) When one is free I will move to that one to do some creative work often using one or more of your products (my go-to Adobe products are Photoshop and Illustrator each with a gazillion plugins, Premiere, After Effects and InDesign. This is where the licensing scheme that currently exists is problematic: I am constantly having to activate and deactivate machines so that I can move between them. To put it mildly, this is a royal pain.

What I would suggest for creatives in small studios such as mine is that we be allowed to add more machines to the licensed pool. In other words, I do not seek to run creative cloud software on several machines simultaneously, but instead have more machines available to select from when running an application. Other software that I use has what's called a floating license option, which allows me to use one copy of the software at one time on one machine, but t's up to me which machine is being used. Such a scenario makes much more sense for small studios like mine, and I'm sure I am not alone in facing this problem. I realize that if you extrapolate what I'm suggesting too far, things could get out of control, and it might dent your revenue, so it would make sense to charge a small up-charge to the licensee to increase the number of available machines - perhaps with an upper limit of additionally licensable machines as well.

Currently my only option is to double my monthly subscription outlay to $100 which is $600 a year just to have greater convenience, (oh, and a second Adobe ID with another e-mail address just to confuse things more.)

Please seriously consider modifying your policies in this regard as this is a real thorn in my (and I am sure others') side.