17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 11:18 PM by John Ratard

Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards

John Ratard Level 1

I reviewed the recent post for a recommended GPU.  I tried to reply to a particular recommendation for the 970 or 1070 with little success.  Even after signing in, when I clicked on reply nothing happened.  Perhaps procedures have changed since I last used the Forum or a temporary problem.  My situation is slightly different so I have started a new post.  My system is as follows:

Windows 7 OS

ASUS P9X78 deluxe motherboard

Intel i7 3930 CPU

DDR3 1600 32GB RAM

2 SSD 256 GB SATA III MLC drives

4 7200rpm SATA 1 TB drives in 2 RAID 0 configurations.

NVIDIA GTX660 2G video card

I need to replace the video card to transfer it to a second PC upgraded to windows 10 since its ATI video card is not compatible.  The 970 or 1070 are a good but difficult choices.  The problem I have is as follows:

• I need to replace the second PC card ASAP since the subject PC I am now using is exclusively dedicated to video editing with no email and minimized Internet use.
      • The 1070 is presently out of stock and may not significantly reduce editing and rendering time.
      • The 970 comes in so many different versions and manufacturers as to be a choice dilemma.

What is a good choice for a 970 at my present point in time?

• 1. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right now there is a driver problem with any GTX 10 series when trying to use R3D media.  Also there are no GTX1070's available yet so there is no testing to know if they are really working with Premiere at all.  If you need to move right now get a plain ordinary GTX 970 from a good vendor with a good warranty.  Many are on sale right now.

• 2. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
            RjL190365 Level 4

In addition to Bill's response, there is a driver problem with the 368.22 driver and any GTX 900 and earlier series when trying to use R3D media. This driver problem is exactly the same problem as the current 368.25 driver with the GTX 1080. If you get the GTX 970, do not download or install the 368.22 driver. Nor should you use the driver that's on the CD or DVD that comes with the card as that driver is likely severely outdated. Instead, download and install the previous WHQL driver version, 365.19, from the GeForce Web site.

• 3. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
              John Ratard Level 1

Thanks Bill,

I had an IT technician replace the GTX 660 with the GTX 970 on my hex core PC.  He downloaded the driver from the GeForce Web site with the installation so I am unaware of the version.  However, if I do not use R3D this may not be a problem.  If I do in the future, I will keep the WHQL driver version 365.19 as recommended by RjL190365 in mind as well as look for future updated R3D compatible drivers.

I keep my hex core as efficient as possible, however, I do not have experience for the ideal settings for video editing using the GPU acceleration on the TURBO GTX 970 OC.  The settings for games, over clocking, temperature, etc. do not relate to video work with Adobe CS6 or mocha Pro 5.  What do you recommend I do for settings?

• 4. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                John Ratard Level 1

Hi Bill, 

When I check the Project Settings in Premier Pro CS6, nothing is highlighted (active) in "General/Video Rendering and Playback/Renderer:".  It would appear that there is a  problem with activating the GTX 970 within Premier Pro CS6 since it is not recognized in the "cuda supported files" list.   The latest shown is for Geforce GTX 680.  On the Internet, I found a description explaining how I can activate the cuda by adding the Geforce 970 to the list, save it, then reinstalling the list using the exact description displayed in a GPUZ utility.  For After Effects, a similar recommendation was to add Geforce 970 to the "raytracer supported files".

Is this correct?

• 5. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                  John Ratard Level 1

Thank you for the recommendation for 365.19 driver version for the GTX 970 from the GeForce web site. The installation of the GTX 970 was by Elitech, my hardware custom installer.  I have not checked as yet to see what driver version was installed.  The method used is usually to get the latest driver directly from the manufacturer's (ASUS) web site.  My guess is I will have to replace the driver with your recommendation if 365.19 solves the raytracer error I am getting with After Effects.

First, I had to deal with the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" in Premier Pro C6 and "raytracer_supported_cards.txt" in After Effects CS6  files.  I was able to add GeForce GTX 970 to both text files to have the card recognized by both.  I did have a raytracer error at the start of After Effects that I was able to bypass.

Does the 365.19 driver version solve the raytracer error and should I be aware of other issues?

• 6. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

nvidia changed the tech used in the gtx 970 from older cards, which doesn't allow ray tracing to work with AE cs6. adobe staff for a long time misinformed the public that ray tracing was removed from the 900 series cards, but turned out that AE just needed to be updated. this update was done in one of the latest AE versions, so you won't have access to that fix for cs6. if you need ray tracing for AE, you might have to revert back to the gtx 660 or look for a used 700 series card, like a 770 or 780...

• 7. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                      John Ratard Level 1

Thank you for the information.

I am certainly disturbed that Adobe does not support their software GTX bugs because they choose to move forward by dropping a previous version e.g. AE CS6.  Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened because a previous problem where dynamic link did not work correctly between P.Pro and AE was not corrected in CS6.  AE CS6 dynamically links successfully between AE and P.Pro, but when in reverse after changes in P.Pro, back to AE the audio fails to function after a few seconds.  This has been a problem for several years.

I replaced an ATI Radeon 4670 1G card that is incompatible with Windows 10, with a GTX 660 on my video support quad core PC that in its previous function was not activated because it was not included in the cuda supported text file.  I believe improved performance would have been available if I had been aware of a simple method to add the card to the list.  Again Adobe failed because customers were not informed.  As you included in the feedback I now have a GTX 660 that has been added to the cuda text file and should not have the ray tracer problem in my support PC.

My main video editing hex core PC now has the GTX 970 that has been added to the cuda text file. Since it has been shown that the GTX 970 provides up to 17 faster performance in P.Pro when the cuda is active than when not, I am definitely going to see a significant improvement.  However, the 3D raytracer problem now exists in AE CS6 on my main quad core PC since I added the GTX 970 to the raytracer text file.

My question is:  Are there other advantages to retain the GTX 970 in the raytracer text file in AE, other than the 3D raytracer problem?  If there are other advantages, how do I disable 3D raytracing to allow other advantages to function?   If not, I will remove it from the text file so I no longer get the error message.

• 8. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards

im not aware of ae cs6 using the video card in any other way than the ray tracing.

the ae team has been against using video cards for a long time, they said the quality of the picture wasn't there, but have recently changed their mind and are now adding gpu acceleration to several functions in the latest version of ae. my guess is since every other AE alternative is now using gpu acceleration, ae had to finally give in to the pressure and change or be left behind.

• 9. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                          John Ratard Level 1

I am having problems with cross referencing the NVIDIA driver for the GTX 970 shown in device manager as 10.18.13.5362 on my main video editing PC and the 365.19 recommended in post #5 from the GeForce web site.

How do I determine whether the NVIDIA driver is the recommended one for my GeForce GTX 970?

• 10. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards

the last 5 digits of the driver version in the device manager should match the driver version from nvidia's website.

so for example, the nvidia 365.19 driver should appear in the device manager as 10.18.13.6519

if it doesn't match the one you want, you can manually update the driver in the device manager, and browse to the nvidia driver files you want. when you install the nvidia driver it will unzip the files to a folder on your drive, such as

C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\365.19\...............

• 11. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                              John Ratard Level 1

I followed instructions to update the driver through Device Manager.  After downloading the 365.19 driver, then pointing to its location, after Next, a message appears "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" with a Close button.  After reboot, driver properties shows the existing 353.62 driver still remains.

I did download the GTX 970 driver for Windows 7 64 bit from GeForce web site.  However, I note that part of the executable description includes the term desktop.  I saved it under a file in another location on my PC.

Does that mean the driver that we want to install has to be saved to the desktop or is incompatible according to Windows?  What next?

• 12. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not use the Device Manager to change drivers I just download from nVidia and then go to the folder where nVidia installs the drivers.nVidia driver.png

Now I can install any of these drivers just by going to the appropriate driver without any Microsoft help/hindrance by just running the "Setup.exe" file.

• 13. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards

you have to choose all the manual options when updating, to prevent windows from automatically choosing the driver. or you can run the setup like bill points out. setup has an option to perform a clean install, which might help remove any bad nvidia settings.

• 14. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                                    John Ratard Level 1

I am simply going around in circles.  The Device Manager does not do what we want, the Setup.exe on the CD wants to install the same driver I wish to replace, the instruction to replace a driver only shows me how to remove it, and "Uninstall or change a program" wants to remove it.  So far, if I remove the existing driver, I have found nothing to lead me to where I can run the downloaded executable for the GTX 970 for Windows 7 64 bit to install it.  The manual is no help either.

Once removed, does the program automatically ask me to point to the new driver executable location to install it?

• 15. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards

you should be downloading the setup file from nvidia's website, here are some links.

NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

Drivers | GeForce

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/365.19/365.19-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-inter national-whql.exe

once downloaded, run it and choose the clean install option to have it remove any old drivers.

• 16. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                                        John Ratard Level 1

Thank you.  I talked to Microsoft who also informed me to run the 365.19 executable I downloaded from NVIDIA.  I checked that the url you provided shows the same executable.  I am not experienced in updating specific drivers from different organizations so I needed to confirm.  It is so simple if you know what you are doing.

• 17. Re: Choices for GTX 970 or GTX1070 Video Cards
                                          John Ratard Level 1

Hi Bill,

With the combined help from all of you, I have now successfully installed the recommended driver.  I appreciated your help in post 12 that without a previous installation of an NVIDIA card on my PC made it difficult for me to follow.

Not being experienced in replacing drivers, I tried your recommendation with little success because without the NVIDIA card executable that created the route shown in the picture you included, I could not find the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver file.  I was also looking for a "Setup.exe" file.  I believe you meant me to run the driver executable from NVIDIA that would have clarified the whole situation.

Thank you all.

John