12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 8:32 AM by Szalam

Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015

adamm72480609

This is really annoying! I want Ram Preview back. I'm so mad you took it out. PUT IT BACK!

• 1. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have seen the next-generation working. It's going to be a lot better very soon.

• 2. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Rick says, the next version should behave much better, but we don't know what version YOU'RE using. If you're using 13.5, you are really missing out on some nice changes that you could have RIGHT NOW. Improvements in 13.6 and 13.7 made AE much more like the old RAM preview, but with the benefits of the new architecture.

• 3. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
              adamm72480609 Level 1

I'm running 13.5.0.347. Where can I get that release?

• 4. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
                JoelArt

I'm on 13.7.1.6 Windows 7 (32 GB ram, Xeon E5-1630) and RAM preview absolutely SUCKS!!!. If I want't true full, non stuttering/swaying frame rate I have to render it out as a video to play it smoothly. RAM preview really shoyld be able to do that as well.

• 5. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015

JoelArt wrote:

I'm on 13.7.1.6 Windows 7 (32 GB ram, Xeon E5-1630) and RAM preview absolutely SUCKS!!!. If I want't true full, non stuttering/swaying frame rate I have to render it out as a video to play it smoothly. RAM preview really shoyld be able to do that as well.

That sounds terrible. My Windows 7 machine didn't have an issue with it. (Neither does my Windows 10 machine.) I wonder what's up with your system. Hopefully you won't have to deal with it for much longer. The next version of AE has a different preview architecture and the focus is stability according to the AE folks. So, help is on the way!

And, if you're wondering when the next version will come out, ME TOO! However, if the last few years are any indication, it'll be before the end of this month. CC, CC 2014, and CC 2015 all came out towards the end of spring/beginning of summer.

• 6. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015

adamm72480609 wrote:

I'm running 13.5.0.347. Where can I get that release?

Wow, you're using the buggiest release of AE I've ever worked with!

You should be able to get the update through your Creative Cloud software. However, I've seen a lot of people on the forums with the same issue you're having where the CC app doesn't see the updates. (I wonder what other software's updates you've missed...) There are a number of threads with folks having that issue, but I don't remember what fixes worked for people. First of all, you might try uninstalling the CC app, reinstalling it, and updating it.

• 7. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
                      JoelArt Level 1

I'm designing effects for games in 60fps at 1366x768. Particles and stuff. It's rather complex comps to be honest with lots of nested ones. But RAM preview SHOULD! be able to play back anything in real-time regardless of the scenes complexity. It should not matter unless I start tweaking values and making changes during playback. All I want is the ability to view my cached frames in real-time as in the old days. Sigh!

• 8. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015

JoelArt wrote:

But RAM preview SHOULD! be able to play back anything in real-time regardless of the scenes complexity.

So it should! If you'd like me to test it on my system to see if it's an AE issue with how you've structured your comps or something odd on your end, you can PM me an example file and I can see how my system behaves.

• 9. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
                          adamm72480609 Level 1

Ok, thanks for the heads up. Im not seeing those updates yet...any idea on how to resolve?

• 10. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015

If I were you, I'd want to get the CC app functioning properly, so I'd contact Adobe support.

However, if you just need to get up and working with a much less buggy version NOW, go here for Windows or go here for Mac. You can check the version numbers of ALL of the Adobe software you have against this list and download the update files for any of your apps directly.

• 11. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015
                              adamm72480609 Level 1

Szalam, thank you for all your help. One further question...I've upgraded to 13.7.2.3. We have an internal IT Department that monitors and controls our updates but that has been fixed.

To get preview to function more like old ram preview could you provide some guidance on settings...here is my current setup.

I'm doing mostly shape layer animation and really need that ram preview back.

preview_settings.png

• 12. Re: Bring Back Ram Preview in AE 2015

As you may already know, that "Shortcut" dropdown isn't letting you pick what shortcut to use to initiate a preview. It's just letting you set the options for what happens depending on which shortcut you use.

I usually keep my Spacebar settings like what you have there.

Under the Num 0 shortcuts, I usually have Cache Before Playback checked. Range is usually work area (but sometimes from current time, depending on what I'm doing. On (Num 0) Stop is set to "If caching, play cached frames". And Move time to preview time is unchecked. That makes it behave like the old RAM preview.

It's really handy having the ability to customize what happens with what shortcut. I think it's better than the old way. I really like the ability to choose if I want the Current Time Indicator to go back to where the preview started (Num 0) or to come to the frame I'm currently previewing (Spacebar), but you should feel free to customize that thing to your heart's content!