1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 4:51 PM by John Waller

Lightroom CC & DNG Converter can't open CR2 files, but Photoshop CC Can?

Siorus

Hi guys,

I've got an issue with raw files on this computer and I can't figure out why. I can open my .CR2 files in Photoshop CC, but the same files are not readable by either Lightroom or Adobe's DNG converter. Lightroom says "The files are not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom," and the DNG Converter says "The source folder does not contain any supported camera raw files."

All software is up-to-date as of the date of this post. The .CR2 files are out of a Canon 80D and a Canon 7D, and are not corrupt (as evidenced by the fact that Photoshop has no issue opening them). Other raw files that have been imported directly from the cameras, or which have been copied off the cameras' memory cards a different machine and then transferred to the machine in question have been fine. Other machines have no issues with these files, either. It's something specific to the software installed on this machine and how it's configured, and I'm at a loss as to what might be causing it.

At one point, Windows' photos app was accidentally set as the default application to open CR2 files; this may have been when the issue started, but I can't say for certain. Either way, this has been corrected; Lightroom is now set as the default application for CR2 files. The machine also had CaptureOne installed on it (since uninstalled) and it had the same issues with these raw files.

Short of reinstalling Windows, has anyone got any suggestions?