2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 8:35 AM by nokin50

Convert Aperture “Face” Keywords to “People” keywords in LR

nokin50

I am moving from Aperture and am considering using LR, but have several issues to consider. Previously, I was reluctant to move to LR partially because earlier versions of LR did not support “Face ID.” I am reconsidering now that LR does have Face detection (“people”). I will probably not be using the Aperture Library Import plugin since I will be losing too much data this way (e.g. GPS, edits etc). Instead, I will import the original (unedited) file and a final edited jpg separately with metadata.

Exported Aperture images convert the face “name” to a keyword (e.g. John Doe). When importing the image to LR, the keyword apparently comes in as a “normal” LR keyword. Is there a  way to convert this “normal” keyword to a “people” keyword in LR? I realize it will not map to the correct face (or any face), but at least it would auto-complete the “people” name once I start typing a few letters.

Preferably, I would like to mass convert many (hundreds) of names all at once, rather than one at a time.  Is this possible?

Thanks, Dave

• 1. Re: Convert Aperture “Face” Keywords to “People” keywords in LR
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
          When importing the image to LR, the keyword apparently comes in as a “normal” LR keyword. Is there a  way to convert this “normal” keyword to a “people” keyword in LR? I realize it will not map to the correct face (or any face), but at least it would auto-complete the “people” name once I start typing a few letters.

In LR, people keywords are just regular keywords with the attribute Person checked.  In the Keyword List panel on the right of Library, double-click a keyword to edit its attributes.  You can convert a batch of keywords to person keywords all at once: Select the keywords in the Keyword List panel, right-click and select Convert Keywords To Person Keywords.   Be very careful doing this, since (unbelievably) there is no way to batch-convert back -- if you make a mistake, you'll have to edit each keyword individually.

• 2. Re: Convert Aperture “Face” Keywords to “People” keywords in LR
            nokin50 Level 1

Awesome!

Thanks for the caveat. You’re right… it is unbelievable that the command doesn’t allow the opposite conversion (maybe in a future version). However, this will be a huge time-saver for me even if I make the occasional mistake. The vast majority of my unique keywords are people names and most of my other keywords are numeric (so they will not be interspersed with the names).

Thanks!

David