8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 7:09 AM by D Fosse

Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors

Jim Garrison

Does the Develop module drive the display differently from the other (Library, Print, etc) modules?

I ask because I see significantly different, richer, more saturated colors in Develop, and a Google search turns up complaints about this problem going back to 2007.

I have a Dell UP2516D monitor calibrated with an XRite i1DisplayPro and i1Profiler software.  This monitor is capable of 99% AdobeRGB.

After reading the other threads on this topic I have verified the following:

• The monitor is correctly calibrated
      • I have disabled the Use Graphics Processor option
      • The ICC profile is version 2, not version 4

This is disturbing because when exporting, the resulting JPEGs look like the desaturated images I see in the Library module, not the end result of my editing in the Develop module.  Here are a pair of screenshots.  In both cases the smaller window is the exported image (JPEG) displayed in Windows Photo Viewer. The larger window is a partial grab of Lightroom.  The screenshot was made by opening the exported JPEG and then moving the Windows Photo Viewer on top of the Lightroom window.

The first image shows the difference between the JPEG and what is seen in Develop

LRColor01.png

The second image shows the fact that the exported JPEG looks like what is seen in Library view.

LRColor02.png

Is the Develop module fundamentally different in how it sends image data to the monitor?  Could this interact with the capabilities of a wide-gamut monitor to cause this problem?

Even if the answer is yes, this wouldn't explain why the effect is present even in the screenshots.  Taking a screenshot, encoding it to PNG and then displaying that in Windows Photo Viewer or other non-Lightroom software should eliminate any special effects due to LR. The difference is still present in the screen captures, even when displayed on less-capable monitors, so there has to be a real color shift issue here.

• 1. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, there is a difference, read here : How to manage color in Lightroom

I'm not sure, is windows Photo Viewer color managed?

If you use a Wide-Gamut monitor, you can display correct colors only with an application that is color managed. Otherwise you'll always see an offset/colorshift.

• 3. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors
            Jim Garrison Level 1

Windows Photo Viewer is color managed. I'll try exporting in ProPhotoRGB and see what happens.

• 4. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors

I don't mean whether it does respect the embedded color profile - does it respect the display profile correctly and convert to it?

Please use Firefox with activated color management to test first and post back.

• 5. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors
                Jim Garrison Level 1

At one time I knew that Firefox supported monitor profiles... thanks for the reminder.

When displayed in Firefox with color management (I set this option a couple of years ago and forgot about it) the image looks identical to the Develop view, even if I export it in sRGB.  With an application that supports color spaces but not monitor profiles (i.e. Windows Photo Viewer), the display looks like the Library/Print view.

So the difference between Develop and Library/Print is that Develop supports monitor profiles and Library/Print don't?  Or is there a different problem here?

Leaving totally aside any differences in exported images, it still seems to me that Lightroom should display the same color in all modules.  I fail to see how large color rendering differences between Library and Develop on the same monitor can be called "working as designed".

• 6. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors

With a correct monitor profile the rendering in all LR modules should be identical.

To my knowledge, a display profile that is slightly off or not a v2 profile can cause issues as you are describing it.

From your first post I assume that the monitor has been calibrated just lately as a try to correct the issue you are seeing.

Let me 'ping' some of the 'color experts' here in the forum - maybe they have some more ideas

• 7. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors
                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Jim Garrison wrote:

Does the Develop module drive the display differently from the other (Library, Print, etc) modules?

Yes it does. It uses a different preview mechanism and color space and the most accurate way to view colors in LR is in Develop, at 1:1 oar greater.

You need to soft proof in Develop to the color space you'll export to, even sRGB (especially on a wide gamut display!).

Then you need to view what's exported in a color managed app. They two should visually match.

• 8. Re: Develop Module and Wide-Gamut monitors
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim Garrison wrote:

So the difference between Develop and Library/Print is that Develop supports monitor profiles and Library/Print don't? Or is there a different problem here?

If you see any difference between Library and Develop, that's a clear indication of a broken/defective monitor profile. They should always display identically.

Yes, they both convert into the same monitor profile. But the source color spaces are different: In Library it's Adobe RGB - in Develop it's a custom ProPhoto variant with linear tone response curve (gamma).

So you have two different conversions, and that's why a bad profile can affect the two modules (or two applications) differently.