3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 7:44 AM by Abambo

Checking a folder to see if it is part of a LR catalog?

southwestform Level 1

I am condensing media from multiple drives and seem to have lots of duplicates. After importing a folder, LR indicates that the photos have already been imported.

How do I determine if this particular folder was already imported OR if this folder contains duplicates of media that has already been imported? I'd like to just delete the folder if it contains duplicates, though I want to make sure that this folder is not contain the actual photos in the LR catalog. Is there an easy way to check this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Checking a folder to see if it is part of a LR catalog?
          dj_paige Level 9

Probably the easiest way to determine duplicates and if the folder has already been imported, is to try to import the photos in the folder. Lightroom will tell you if the photos have been previously imported. If that happens, you go to the Lightroom folder panel in the Library module to determine if the folder has been imported or not. If the folder exists and the photos are in the folder, then you are trying to import the folder a 2nd time. if the folder does not exist, then you are trying to import duplicates.

• 2. Re: Checking a folder to see if it is part of a LR catalog?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the Lightroom Library right-click (control-click) on the named folder and choose “Synchronize Folder”

If the files are not already in LR a number of files will be shown- simply click synchronize to import them.

If there is nothing to synchronize; the files are already in Lightroom.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Checking a folder to see if it is part of a LR catalog?
              Abambo Level 4

You are importing the pictures from external harddisks into a new "Lightroom structure" with copying or moving files to a new location?

If yes, you can, after the import (and backup!) delete the pictures on the (external?) disk. Lightroom is the easy way detecting duplicates.

If you are just importing pictures from (external?) disks into the Lightroom database, you will have no way to know which files are duplicate, except by looking at the log files, which is quite annoying for a lot of files.

Generally, there exist tools to detect duplicates and delete them or doing some other action (hardlinks for example). This tools are specific for your computer system (Windows or OSX) and you should look  into a Microsoft or Apple forum for this.

1 person found this helpful