6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 11:39 AM by Michael J. Hoffman

Virtual copies

media kat Level 1

I want to try applying different effects to the same image so I made a virtual copy of an image.

1. Does a virtual copy stay in the catalog until deleted?

2. My virtual copy has all of the effects applied to it from the original image, and there is no history available on the virtual copy to go back to the original. I'm trying to make changes to compare the two, though I'd prefer to not have to remove all of the effects I applied to the original, is there a way around this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Virtual copies
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi media kat,

1. Yes, virtual copies stay in the catalog. However, they don't take up much room. All that is needed for a VC is the list of adjustments you see in the history panel, as it leverages the same original file.

2. This is a harder question. As you've noted, the fist step in the history panel of a VC is "Create virtual copy," and it carries with it all of the settings from the master (but without the detailed steps included in the history).

I can't think of a good way to get the exact history steps from an original copied over to a virtual copy, without taking those steps one at a time manually. However, you can change any effect later (without undoing) to both images. So I'm not sure why you'd need the history list. Can you provide an example of what you're attempting to do? Perhaps we can find an alternate way.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Virtual copies
            dj_paige Level 9

media kat wrote:

2. My virtual copy has all of the effects applied to it from the original image, and there is no history available on the virtual copy to go back to the original. I'm trying to make changes to compare the two, though I'd prefer to not have to remove all of the effects I applied to the original, is there a way around this?

If maintaining the history is important, then a snapshot (Ctrl-N in the Develop Module) will allow you to maintain the history.

But I agree with Mike, please explain in a lot more detail what you need the history for.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Virtual copies
              media kat Level 1

After importing the original photo I made lots of changes to it. Next I made it into a virtual copy, and the virtual copy copied over the image with all of the changes. My goal is to experiment with different settings, so if I want to make changes to the original I need to go back in history to the original and make changes to that because the virtual copy has a very specific look to it that will be difficult to go back to the original look with, though by making changes to the original it will erase the history and all of the work I performed on it. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Virtual copies
                Jim Wilde Level 5

You can take the Virtual Copy back to the "original" look simply by clicking on the Reset button in the Develop module.

• 5. Re: Virtual copies
                  dj_paige Level 9

I'm still not 100% sure I understand you, but maybe 80% sure.

If you want a virtual copy that is unedited after you have already edited the original photo, here's the steps:

1. Open the original photo in Develop Module
                  2. Click on the bottom step in the history panel to return the photo to is unedited state (or click on any other step to return the photo to any other previous edit step)
                  3. Create the virtual copy
                  4. Go back to the original photo, click on the top step in the history panel to restore your edits.
                  • 6. Re: Virtual copies
                    Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi media kat,

If you want to make changes to the original, you can do them without going back in history - just make the changes. Let's look at a real example, because this is hard to discuss without specifics. Here's a portion of a history panel with a number of changes made to an image:

2016-06-02_14-34-07.jpg

Now I make my virtual copy, and then I want to go back to the original and remove the Luminance shifts I made. I could click the history step "Clarity" to go back to that, and then any new changes would lose the changes I had previously done after that.

Or, I could go to the HSL Panel and make new adjustments, setting the sliders back to '0,' which would add new history steps and would remove the earlier luminance adjustments. I rarely go backward in history unless I'm completely nodding our something I did in error. Since LR is non-destructive, you can just re-apply the settings you want, and save the history.

So again, as DJ and I have mentioned, if you can help illustrate the specific things you're trying to accomplish, perhaps we can offer additional suggestions.

Mike