6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 2:34 PM by hktimmons

Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer

hktimmons

Very new to Photoshop and Lightroom so forgive me if this is blatantly obvious...but I am exporting hand drawn animation images from Lightroom and importing them as image sequences into Photoshop and can't seem to get the right size to fit the preset HD1080p video layer. I've exported the photos from Lightroom at the same pixel dimensions of 1920x1080 and the image sequence still comes out smaller than the canvas size. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer
          Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Hi hktimmons,

Can you explain your workflow in creating the image sequence in Photoshop? Ordinarily, you would use File > Open and then enable the option for "Image Sequence." This would create an entirely new file at the size of the newly opened images (which hopefully are all identically sized), so I don't know what you mean by the "image sequence still comes out smaller than the canvas size." Smaller than what canvas size?

A little more detail will be helpful.

Thanks!

Mike

• 2. Re: Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer
            hktimmons Level 1

Hi Mike, thanks for helping me out!

I have done the path of File > Open > enable Image Sequence and that has worked out well. But I recently read where you can start a new animation from this workflow (and I was curious as to whether or not the quality would be better): New > Document type: Film and Video - size HDTV 1080p etc...which opens a certain size of (canvas?) not sure if that's the right word...then from there the workflow is: Layer > Video Layers > New Video Layer from File > and then you open your image sequence...and when I do that I am wondering how to have it scaled (from when I had exported it from Lightroom) to the right size that is preset by Photoshop...does that make sense?

• 3. Re: Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer

OK, I think we're getting somewhere... Yes, you can do as you mentioned by picking the first file in the sequence and PS creates the video on the fly for you.

However, in my testing, I don't get and disparity in the size of the resulting video compared to PS's canvas. Here's a snapshot of a quick image sequence I created with your process and I don't see any issue:

2016-06-02_15-01-02.jpg

I think we should review your workflow in Lightroom, and the size of the images you exported. Are they truly 1920 x 1080 (exactly)? Can you review the image files in Explorer or Finder, or Bridge, look at Properties, and confirm the image size?

Mike

• 4. Re: Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer
                hktimmons Level 1

I think we are indeed getting somewhere...took your advice and checked an one image's properties from the sequence in finder and it comes up as 1620x1080. Here are two screen shots...one of the export properties in Lightroom and one of the properties from the finder>get info window. Do you know why the width changes after I export from Lightroom? Thanks so much for your help, Mike.

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 3.14.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-02 at 3.17.39 PM.png

• 5. Re: Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer

OK, the trick is this - When you export your image from Lightroom, you have it set to "Resize to fit" 1920 x 1080. This means that the image will be shrunk or enlarged at the current image aspect ratio (no stretching) to fit into the listed dimensions. Apparently, your image is not "shaped" like 1920 x 1080. It seems to have come from a camera, which most likely has a 4:3 aspect ratio. Lightroom doesn't crop or stretch the image, it just enlarges or reduces evenly so that it fits within the dimensions.

To solve the problem, go into Lightroom's Develop Module, and choose the Crop Tool (R). Then, change the crop size to 1920 x 1080 (16 x 9), and you'll immediately see that part of your image will need to be cropped off to fit in the desired shape:

2016-06-02_16-14-29.jpg

Once your image is cropped into a 16:9 aspect ratio shape, the export will completely fill the frame and the images will be the full 1920 x 1080 as you intended.

I can see from your illustrations that you might be sacrificing some important parts of the image by cropping; that's a sad fact of life when you're working in different aspect ratios. It always pays to start your work with the aspect ratio you intend to use for the final production - if you know in advance what that will be.

Mike

• 6. Re: Importing image sequence to fit Video 1080p Layer
                    hktimmons Level 1

Gotcha. That's good to know in the future. From what I can tell a rendered HD 1080p MP4 from my original image sequence (shot in whatever aspect ratio the camera is shooting ) turns out to be very good quality. I already have my animation stand all screwed in and bolted down so no turning back for now. Thanks again!