6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 7:00 AM by martinkelly66

Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence

martinkelly66

Hello,

First off, apologies if this is a really simple problem to fix but I've been trying to work it out on my own all afternoon and am none the wiser.

Here's my problem:

I have 2 videos - one is of a guy playing guitar, the other is of a girl singing. I have use the roto brush to draw a mask around the girl in order to overlay her onto the guys video footage.

I've done this and in After Effects it all looks good, the problem comes when I export. I'm trying to export as Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) with PCM audio.

For some reason when I'm exporting After Effects is only exporting the video with the guy and not the rotoscoped girl who I have overlayed on his video.

All video layers are active and in the correct order, the mode is set to "Normal" on all layers. I have frozen the rotoscoped layer.

I'm using After Effects CS6.

Please can anyone help me.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if you need more details to be of help.

• 1. Re: Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This sounds like a user error. Things to check -

1. Only the Active Camera renders - make sure you are previewing and finalizing with that view selected
          2. Select the layer you are having problems with and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the layer
          3. Make sure that all of the layer switches are set to the correct setting for your project
          4. Double check the render settings. You can quickly do this by saving a frame as an image file under the Composition Menu

If none of that helps then we need details of your workflow and your render settings. A screenshot of the entire app with the composition selected in the Project Panel so we can easily see the settings and the modified properties of all layers giving you problems revealed will help. You can just drag the screenshot to the reply field on this forum. If you are on a Mac a screenshot is Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 to grab the entire screen. On windows you can just press the PrtScn key and then start a new  line in the reply field and paste.

Let us know. We can probably help if you give us the details.

• 2. Re: Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence
            martinkelly66 Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the quick response.

I've had a look at what you suggested but being something of an After Effects amateur I'm afraid that I'm still not doing it right.

I'm working in 1920x1080, 25fps, and the entire sequence is around 1 minute 16 seconds long (needless to say this has taken me absolutely ages and so I'd be genuinely devastated if I've done it all wrong!).

I've attached a screenshot of the project for you to see. Please let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

Screen shot 2016-06-02 at 21.41.04.png

• 3. Re: Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the selected layer the one with the roto? What is the layer above it? What are the modified properties of both those layers? Without those properties revealed it's hard to say what is going on.

Did you try rendering a frame?

To render a single frame, choose Composition > Save Frame As > File. Adjust settings in the Render Queue panel if necessary, and then click Render.

How did you render the file? Output Module settings? Render settings?

We need a little more info.

• 4. Re: Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence
                martinkelly66 Level 1

The 2 roto layers are duplicates however the bottom layer "roto" has some effects added to it - radial blur and glow, and both layers have been made black and white with a blue tint. Here's a screenshot of the layer properties for both roto layers (all strokes layers are visibile):

Screen shot 2016-06-03 at 09.51.11.png

I've rendered a frame and it's all good with the roto layers on it fine.

Here are screenshots of my render settings & output module:

Screen shot 2016-06-03 at 09.46.51.png

Screen shot 2016-06-03 at 09.48.29.png

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Your layer is set to be a Guide Layer. Right-click and turn it off.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Problems Exporting a rotoscoped sequence
                    martinkelly66 Level 1

I'm an idiot! I knew it would be something ridiculously simple like that!

Thank you very much Mylenium for your help (and yours too Rick)!