13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 1:17 PM by Szalam

Please check my specs for aftereffects

Tomojack

Hi there I'm about to drop some money into a computer for video editing and gaming and was wondering if these specs would be good enough to run after effects.

I7 6700k

32gb of ddr4 ram

Gtx 1070

250gb ssd

1tbsshd

650wpsu

Asus ranger motherboard

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
          Tomojack Level 1

Thank you for the fast reply. So this system should be able to run it pretty smoothly then

• 3. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It depends on what you mean by smoothly.

If you're experienced in After Effects, the answer is yes.

If you've never used it before, the answer is "NO - not in the way you think, but that's going to be true no matter if your system were 10x more powerful".

• 4. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
              Tomojack Level 1

I mean will it run quick and fast render if I knew how to use it. Atm I don't no how to use after effects. Havent used any video editing or fx software in a good few years.

Do you have any recommendations on a good source to learn the basics. I understand this software has a steep learning curve.  I have seen a book on amazon which I was thinking of buying

• 5. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects

tomojack wrote:

I mean will it run quick and fast render if I knew how to use it.

It should work very well, yes. I particularly commend the high clock speed of the processor.

The only thing I might recommend is bumping your system hard drive up larger and/or adding a second SSD. You want AE's cache to be on your fastest drive (thus an SSD), you want to give it PLENTY of space (I have mine set to use 200 GB), and you always want to make sure that any hard drive keeps at least 20% of its space free.

tomojack wrote:

Atm I don't no how to use after effects. Havent used any video editing or fx software in a good few years.

Remember, After Effects is not video editing software. Use Premiere Pro when you want to edit. After Effects is for creating visual effects, animation, or motion graphics.

After Effects makes shots. Premiere Pro puts shots next to each other in time with music to tell a story, if that makes sense. (It's a massive over-simplification, but there it is.) If you're interested, I can go into a lot more detail. haha

tomojack wrote:

Do you have any recommendations on a good source to learn the basics. I understand this software has a steep learning curve. I have seen a book on amazon which I was thinking of buying

What book are you looking at?

This blog post is where I suggest any new person start if they want a free set of tutorials. Well, that or Adobe's own tutorial pages.

• 6. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
                  Tomojack Level 1

Thanks for helping me out. It's the Adobe after effects classroom in a book 2015. Was going to read it on my work breaks, but if there is better guide ill try that.

I've saved the link you provided so ill check it out.

I might add another ssd then. One for operating system and after effects software. Then use the other one for the files I'm adding fx to?

• 7. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects

Tomojack wrote:

I might add another ssd then. One for operating system and after effects software. Then use the other one for the files I'm adding fx to?

No.

One for your OS and software and one for AE's cache. (You set this up in your AE preferences.) The files you're working with should be on a separate drive from the cache. I actually have four hard drives in my freelance workstation. An SSD for Windows, Adobe software, C4D, etc.; an SSD for AE's cache, Premiere's scratch disc, and other, similar cache functions; a hard drive for my footage, project files, etc.; and a hard drive for stock stuff like, sound effects, music, Action VFX clips, Adobe Stock footage, Element 3d model packs, etc..

• 8. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
                      Tomojack Level 1

Right ok. So i will get 2 x 250gb Samsung evo 850. One for their operating system and software. One for after effects cache. And then I'll have a 1tb hdd for my files.

• 9. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects

Sounds good. Super-easy to throw a larger hard drive in there if you get too into this video thing.

• 10. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
                          Tomojack Level 1

Really hoping to. My plan is to learn the ropes, hopefully get good and creative and maybe just maybe one day make its into a job.

• 11. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects

You can be creative now without learning the software or having a computer to run it on. Feed your creative drive by doing things to spark it as often as you can. Sculpt something with clay, draw a quick pencil sketch, look at amazing art and think about how to remix it, take an ink pen apart and make something else out of the pieces, etc. If you get your creative side going even without a computer, it's a lot easier to be creative once you have one.

Also, don't forget to mark the correct answer for this thread so that others can find it more easily when they search the forums. (If it were me, I'd probably pick the post with the link to the system requirements because it's the most technically correct post and if someone is more interested, they can keep scrolling down.)

• 12. Re: Please check my specs for aftereffects
                              Tomojack Level 1

Cheers buddy, you've been been a great help