12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 11:40 AM by Ann Bens

PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files

aks100

My camera AVCHD folders contain MTS files in the STREAM folder with the video and CPI files in the CLIPINF folder, nothing surprising here. iMovie and the Sony app both recognise these files and show the clip properties like date and time, however PRE only imports the MTS video files but displays an error about the CLI files, so no clip information is available. The video content itself is available.

So my question is this: is it possible to have PRE read the full AVCHD structure and retrieve the clip data?

• 1. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The CLI are not media files. Premiere Elements will only use your media (video, audio and photo) files.

If you plug your camcorder into your computer via USB and then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Cameras or Devices to import the media into your project, Premiere Elements will locate any media it can find on your camcorder or device and import into your project and onto your computer. The MTS video it finds on the camcorder will be imported as a complete audio/video file.

It sounds like you're using a hybrid method of getting the media -- maybe manually copying the media from a memory card or from your camcorder using Finder. This method is not gathering the complete files. Using Premiere Elements to get the media from your camcorder, as I described above, will get the complete video/audio files.

• 2. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
            aks100 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes I understand that, I will see if it makes any difference wrt finding video date and time of recording.

The problem is this: I have 6-7 years worth of video files on HD now, with their metadata, and I'd like to have the clip information imported. It's present, even iMovie can read it! It doesn't seem unreasonable (to me) to expect a paid application to support this, i.e. read an AVCHD folder structure and process both the media and the metadata.

For clarification, I can read the media data all fine in PRE, that works. It just has the media alone, no clip information, and it could do better.

• 3. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files

CLI files are not media files. Premiere Elements will not be able to import them as media. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

• 4. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
                aks100 Level 1

Understood. If it's possible to get feedback to the product team (if they read these forums), then this would be a small but useful feature. I will revert to iMovie.

Thanks

• 5. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files

I'm not sure what feature you're looking for, aks. CLI files are not media files. That's why they can't be read by the program -- or any other video editing program that I know of.

But if you use the workflow above to get your media from your camcorder, this won't be an issue. In fact, I'm not sure why your MTS files don't already have audio and video as a single file. All camcorders that I know of save AVCHD as a single audio/video program file.

• 6. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
                    aks100 Level 1

Hi Steve,

I think we have confusion. The MTS files are just normal and fine, they have video and audio and are imported fine.

The CLIPINF (.CLI) files contain metadata like date of footage and location etc. These are not media files but data files associated with the media. I have now tried iMovie, Final Cut and the Sony and Panasonic programs and the ALL read the AVCHD folder completely including the metadata files, so when I display clip properties the date/time of the footage is correct as in when the footage was shot. PRE simply rejects these files as non-readable, which in my opinion falls short for such a program. It would be like Elements not showing the EXIF data for photos, which of course would be ridiculous.

Tony

• 7. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files

The Elements Organizer, which comes bundled with Premiere Elements, is capable of reading and displaying the metadata on your media files. The program even comes with an Import from iMovie catalog tool that will import all of the media that is in your iMovie library along with any associated metadata.

I spend three chapters discussing the Organizer and all its amazing tools in my book an Amazon, if you're interested.

• 8. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

PRE simply rejects these files as non-readable,

That is correct as stated before the are not video files but metadata files

FCP does exactly the same it does not import meta data as such it reads it in the background.

• 9. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
                          aks100 Level 1

Steve,

Yep, the Organizer indeed does show the DateShot metadata and that appears to be correct. Thank you (for being patient with a newbie at PRE!).

I'm not sure why PRE does not show clip metadata, even when it is available in the Organiser, unlike PSE which does (EXIF data). As I mentioned, the other video editors do in fact show all the metadata as well as being video editors.

I have PRE because I bought the PRE/PSE bundle, but actually I'm not too impressed with it so far. I actually quite like Final Cut (I know it's more expensive), but I'll see how I get on over time with the various tools available. I'm just playing for now, but eventually want to edit donkeys keys of recordings, in most cases the camera has long gone.

I will certainly check out your book too, again thanks for the help.

• 10. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files

You cannot compare a photo editor with a video editor.

And you cannot compare FCP with Elements

• 11. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files
                              aks100 Level 1

> You cannot compare a photo editor with a video editor.

Why not, they are both used for the same basic functions, one for photos and one for videos?

> And you cannot compare FCP with Elements

I guess you mean because of price, but I can compare PRE with iMovie (free), and iMovie reads AVCHD and shows the metadata. So does the free Sony package (PlayMemories).

I'm not asking for an amazing feature here, it's pretty basic requirement to show file properties, and in the case of photos that's EXIF and in the case of videos that is in a separate metadata file CLIPINF (CLI).

I'd just my opinion. Don't be so defensive. Basic tools have the capability to understand the metadata, and PRE does not. It's not earth shattering, but it is annoying.

Let's agree we just have different view.

• 12. Re: PRE14-Mac importing Sony camera AVCHD files

A  video tool is not a photo tool

I am not defensive, but you dont seem to understand that Elements does read metadata but not how you want it to read it.

FCP, imovie they all dont import CLI files.

You might think so because you dont get the 'error' message like in Elements.