15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 7:01 AM by cbishop01

Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?

Språkare

Hello, I've written three books (published) and the first one has been sold out and I want to print new copies of it. However, I need to change some details/add text in the pdf-file before printing. I'm about to leave my publishing company and they have the program needed to make changes but according to the contract (which has expired) they won't give me access to this program - they use Indesign for the books.

I really don't know anything about this and want some answers! Is Indesign the same as Adobe Acrobat  Pro DC??

/ L-M

• 1. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

ID has nothing to do with PDFs and you can't hack around in PDFs and hope to produce a print-ready file. the only way it's print-ready is on your office printer. That's the harsh truth here. There's a ton of things to consider from ink separations to basic typographic stuff to color management for embedded artworks and so on. It's much more complicated, so you better work out how to gain access to the native ID files and have someone work on them on a suitable system that can handle all this without screwing up your books.

Mylenium

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do the amicable thing, pay your company to make the changes you request.

Or pay to have the artwork files transferred to you.

Then hire a professional to make the edits for you.

Hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign is not the same as Acrobat Pro, no.

You won't be able to open the PDF in INDesign and make edits.

You can open the PDF in Acrobat, and do editing with the tools provided. Usually, this screws up the PDF and makes it unusable. Sometimes you can get lucky.

If we're talking about a plain text book, without colour, or anything fancy, you might be able to get away with it, if it's really minor changes (changing the copryight year from 2015 to 2016, for instance).

But Mylenium's warnings above all apply. The only proper way is to get hold of the InDesign files and edit those in InDesign.

Ariel

• 4. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Not entirely sure what you mean by program.

* they won't give you InDesign. That's to be expected. You can subscribe in your own right.

* they won't give you the InDesign files - not what you said but what I suspect you may mean. In the absence of a contract to the contrary you own your work (authorship) and they own theirs (typesetting and layout). If you did the work while working for them you may own it unless your contract specifies otherwise; however any sensible publishing company would have this clause. if they own stuff and you want it, they may sell to you but you would be lucky indeed to get it for free.

• 5. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                  cbishop01 Level 2

You can use Illustrator.  And of Course Acrobat

• 6. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                    cbishop01 Level 2

IllustraItor is not really made for it though and can be really tedious depending on how much and what all your changing.  I'm going to change what i said about illustrator.   I was thinking art wise.  THese guys are correct about Illustrator not being the right tool.  BUt i'm changing it because it will mess things up (Badly)  if you do not have the correct fonts.  And if your trying to edit multiple pages you cant do it in illustrator.  As for the Actual PDF editing Acrobat is your best option.  Now again if you dont have the fonts installed.  And the Fonts are not embedded into the PDF file things will get messed up as well.  So the first answer to this question is the correct one.  See if you can get the actual INDD files and make the edits there (Again You will need the fonts they use on the document).  Ask them to package it for you and then  you will have all the information.  Art, Fonts, Indd etc..

• 7. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please do not advise anyone to use Illustrator for this. It will destroy just about any PDF that wasn't created with Illustrator.

• 8. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                        cbishop01 Level 2

We use it at work for minor corrections with no problems.  It is definately not meant for it but we've never had problems. .  FOr all the "single page" files we used to adjust it did work. more for art work than text.  i was just giving options.  Just giving options if Acrobat is not available .  This was all before we got the CC and had access to Acrobat. 

• 9. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                          Migintosh Level 4

cbishop01 wrote:

We use it at work for minor corrections with no problems.

You've probably just been lucky up to this point. If you have a PDF with fonts that you don't have, you will have problems. If you want to insert a word in the middle of a paragraph, you will spend lots more time trying to do it in Illustrator, if it's possible at all. Just like using a butter knife to turn a screw, using Illustrator to edit a PDF is the wrong tool, even if it works to a degree.

• 10. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Illustrator IS NOT a common PDF or EPS editor. Only those files can be added without causing huge damage which were made with Illustrator and saved with the AI fork inside the PDF or EPS.

When you open a PDF file in Illustrator you loose immediately different colorspaces as all content will be converted to the active color space. Text will be destroyed as it will be broken up in many text strings resetted by the different type engine.

And Illustrator is nor really good for making books.

• 11. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use it too every now and then to make edits to PDFs.

I know it's not meant for that, but sometimes you just have to when all other resorts have been exhausted.

However, I'm in a position of knowing what I'm doing and it's not for the feint hearted.

I wouldn't recommend a beginner or intermediate worker to edit PDFs in Illustrator.

Of course when I'm finished editing, I save as an .ai file with a pdf compatible file. So I always have an illustrator file to edit in future.

• 12. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                                rashidm39979145

yup..you should try that..

• 13. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                                  Abambo Level 4
                                  • You have written your book, so you can typeset it (again) using InDesign. You only need access to your original data for doing that. But may be you will need to redo some corrections. In this case InDesign is the appropriate program for doing this, but it is not an easy program. Be sure to know someone who can give you some help. This would be the preferred rout to go.
                                  • You may, if you have a print ready PDF replace pages. But if you do not have the original layout (fonts, design etc), it will be difficult to rebuild it. You can use InDesign to create those pages and then use Acrobat to exchange the old ones with new ones.
                                  • You may use Acrobat to correct minor errors "on the fly", but it will by far not be easy.
                                  • You may use Illustrator to correct some glitches, but again, it will not be easy.
                                  • If you take the original lay-out and go with it to a different typesetter/editor, you may breach your contract and you may be subject to pay royalties to your former editor.

One argument, you should never ignore is this: Typesetting is a profession and as with each profession, even if you have the tools or access to the tools, this does not mean that you will be successful in creating something at the required quality. My counsel: Hire someone who knows to work this out. You may however negotiate access to the source files before hiring this person. This will help in case of a future supplementary edition.

• 14. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                                    Abambo Level 4

It may be done, but you need to know what you're doing. And there is a possibility that it does not work out.

• 15. Re: Can I use Indesign to make changes in a Pdf-file?
                                      cbishop01 Level 2

You actually can Work on it in indesign with a markzware plugin...  PDF2DTP.  this will work.  However you better make sure before you edit it that your contract with the company says you can edit the information.