9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 12:13 AM by Abambo

Unable to import PSD files to LR

JasonBatley

Hi,

Is there a way around the ridiculous situation of not being able to import PSD files into LR without using the Maximise Compatibility function?

I find it bizarre that two products from the same company can't talk to each other without me increasing the file size significantly. A typical PSD for me is around 130mb, but with Maximise Compatibility turned up that shoots up to over 200mb - multiply that by thousands of files and it's a lot of cloud space taken up just so that two sister programs can talk to each other.

Has anyone found a solution?

Jay

• 1. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
          Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

Unfortunately not, LR is not layers aware, hence the reason for the compatibility mode requirement!

• 2. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
            JasonBatley Level 1

So basically I can download a 10mb utility that allows me to view PSD files yet Adobe can't even build that functionality into one of their flagship programs and as a consequence all my files have to be 70mb oversized.

Nice work Adobe!

• 3. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
              Alfred Pennyworth Level 4

Until if they make LR layers aware, then unfortunately...  I don't find it a deal breaker though, and to look at the PSD in some other software it has to be this way too.

My files are different in size too, but certainly not the difference in size you are seeing!

• 4. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
                Abambo Adobe Community Professional

You can save your files as layered TIFFs with ZIP compression. May be that helps. I've found that TIFF compresses better then PSD, but may be it's also slower. And InDesign has no access to the layers, if that is of importance.

• 5. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JasonBatley wrote:

Is there a way around the ridiculous situation of not being able to import PSD files into LR without using the Maximise Compatibility function?

Here's the official response from Tom Hogarty three years ago: Lightroom: support for un-maximized PSDs | Photoshop Family Customer Community

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
                    lworksjim Level 1

Lightroom is obviously not a program made for professional use.  It's part of the suite of products that Adobe sells as it's Creative Suite but if you get too creative with it in Photoshop then Lightroom can't import the files or use it.  Somehow it has the name Adobe, It's with the Creative Suite with Photoshop but it won't accept the default native file that Photoshop produces.    That forces me to choose a different solution for my needs and shame on Adobe.

• 7. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR

LR is a program for pro-use. Obviously, the target population is the (professional) photographer where Photoshop targets the graphic artist. LR is able to work with PS, there is no doubt on this.

• 8. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR
                        lworksjim Level 1

Let's look at the names of the Program. - PHOTOSHOP - Does that sound like a graphic artist program?  That is a program that you can work with Photos.  How about Lightroom - That's Photographic.  I don't know what planet you are from Abambo but don't give me your version on where there is doubt. You need to get a dictionary to help out.  I can't use Lightroom any more to work with Photoshop.  However there are quite a few Great programs that I CAN use with Photoshop that have no problem with Layers.  They just create a new layer for their changes.  Keeps every thing separate.  All I've see from Adobe is arrogance.  No help at all.  Meanwhile they are selling a suite of products for Photographers and Creatives to work with images but cannot work with Native Photoshop Files.  Ridiculous.  That's not a Professional program. 

• 9. Re: Unable to import PSD files to LR

lworksjim  wrote

Let's look at the names of the Program. - PHOTOSHOP - Does that sound like a graphic artist program?  That is a program that you can work with Photos. 

Well I suppose, it's basically a two-word construction: one is "Photo" the other as important is "Shop". It seemed obvious to me that we have here a "workshop" for modifying pixel images. And you should not forget the legacy of Photoshop. This is the reason for many "workarounds" like smart layers.

lworksjim  wrote

How about Lightroom - That's Photographic. 

Lightroom is a word-play remembering the old fashioned darkroom. And in a darkroom, you developed films using chemicals into photos. With Lightroom, I use the same techniques on RAW files. I just do not need anymore working in the dark.

lworksjim  wrote

I don't know what planet you are from Abambo but don't give me your version on where there is doubt. You need to get a dictionary to help out.  

Sweet P:
                          Basically, I'm from planet Earth. Elisa is on some happy planet. I'm not sure of the name. (from Project Runway, Season 4 Quotes )

lworksjim  wrote

However there are quite a few Great programs that I CAN use with Photoshop that have no problem with Layers. 

Please tell me more!

lworksjim  wrote

All I've see from Adobe is arrogance.  No help at all.  Meanwhile they are selling a suite of products for Photographers and Creatives to work with images but cannot work with Native Photoshop Files.  Ridiculous.  That's not a Professional program. 

It is quite obvious that Lightroom and Photoshop are used by a wide range of professionals. But if the one or other does not fit your needs, you are free to use a better software. And you are still free to ask for features. I'm sure Adobe implements all features Adobe feels being crucial for their business.